Green High FC

Aug 18, 2016
Norfolk, VA
Hi everyone,

We had a swamp and now have high FC and the green isn't going away. Vinyl, SWCG, Sand + Added DE.

Readings:
FC: 45+
CC: 0-0.5
pH: 7.6 (although with FC this high it's hard to actually tell)
TA: 100
CH: 60
CYA: 45
Salt: 3500

My FC has been this high for over a week with no improvement. I can see to the bottom of the deep end and the pool is more of a minty green then dark green, but clear not cloudy. We've brushed and brushed, and have a robot brushing when we aren't manually brushing. I handled the pool last year and I'm at a loss this year. Week 1: black to dark green. Week 2: Dark green to Minty green. Now were are going on week 4 with no change in almost 2 weeks. Any ideas?

First thing I would recommend is shut down any source of chlorine right away. If the SWG is on, turn it off or set to zero. The FC is way too high, and as you may already know double the SLAM requirement. That's the first order of business. Once the FC returns to your SLAM level of about 20, I'd like to know if your water color changes. Do you know if you have any iron in the water locally? I have a feeling the change in "green" might be iron related (perhaps copper), but we'll see. Check back with us once the FC has had a chance to cool-off a bit. :)

First thing I would recommend is shut down any source of chlorine right away. If the SWG is on, turn it off or set to zero. The FC is way too high, and as you may already know double the SLAM requirement. That's the first order of business. Once the FC returns to your SLAM level of about 20, I'd like to know if your water color changes. Do you know if you have any iron in the water locally? I have a feeling the change in "green" might be iron related (perhaps copper), but we'll see. Check back with us once the FC has had a chance to cool-off a bit. :)
I'll give it a couple of days and see where we stand. We had to do a big drain and refill last year (over 15,000 gallons from previous owners cya levels) but was clear all last year. Our city water tests show 0.12ppm copper and 0.07ppm iron, both below national averages.

Our city water tests show 0.12ppm copper and 0.07ppm iron, both below national averages.
I'm not surprised, but I also suspect the extremely high FC level helped to "anger" that minimal amount of metal causing some of what you see today. I'm optimistic the color will change a bit once the FC falls. While it is that high though, take advantage of it by scrubbing/sweeping the entire pool each day, to include any hidden areas (hollow steps, ladders, behind the pool light if there's a niche, etc. Then was once it does fall back down to the 20 zone, you might be able to try an overnight (OCLT) test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.