Still Learning

I hope you stay with us, if you do not, keep this in mind.

Most pool stores and companies will not condone, nor help with you maintaining the FC in the ranges we suggest (there are peer reviewed articles that back us up).

Most pool stores do not care if you keep adding CYA or Calcium to your water till you need to drain and re-fill.

Most pool stores are going based off of the chemical companies directives, so you are trusting the people who want your money to tell you what you need when you don't have the information to protect yourself from being abused.

If you are skeptical of TFP then go to amazon and buy your kit directly from Taylor. The same company that provides the test kits in most pool stores (the ones for sale to the public if they have any at all).

You will be glad you did. What the pool stores give you is a stop-gap solution. It might work in the short term, but more problems are right around the corner. That's how they get you to keep coming back in for more and more chemicals and magic potions that they sell. If you follow this sight's advice, once your pool is clear, it's basically as simple as maintaining the FC/CYA relationship. You won't be adding any more CYA like people who use tablets and powdered shock, so you'll only have to focus on making sure you add the right amount of liquid chlorine. Once in a while you'll have to adjust your pH down with muriatic acid and that's about it. It really will be that easy.

You've already taken the most important step. The test kit will be your number one tool in your arsenal so you know exactly what is going on in your pool. You won't have to guess what to add.

I have been reading the Pool School Book and there is a lot of great info there. I have been reading about Mustard Algae and looks like that is what I have been seeing in my pool, vacuum it and a few days later comes back. looks like I will have to SLAM my pool after I take reading of the chemistry of my pool. My test kit will be here today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, here are my first set of numbers

FC 3.6
CC 0
PH 7.0
TA 90
CH 150
CYA 50

Not bad, not bad. Your FC is a bit low for your CYA. You can always check with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], but you want to target 6-8FC and never below 4 FC. Water clear? Like crystal clear? I'd get some bleach in there to get you up to 6-8FC, PoolMath says about 55oz of 6% bleach should do it. Could be worth it to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as well just to make sure we've not got anything growing that we might need to SLAM. PH up a tad too and I think you're in good shape. CH is fine and not really needed in vinyl.

I am going to check the overnight chlorine loss because I think I have Mustard Algea

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to check the overnight chlorine loss because I think I have Mustard Algea. water is a little cloudy too.

Ok got ya. Yeah, let me roll back my recommendations then. If your water isn't clear and pass the OCLT, it's likely time to SLAM Process

Great job with the testing.
If visible algae is present, the you need to perform the SLAM process. No need to perform the OCLT, since you can see the algae. That test won’t tell you any additional information. Leave everything where it is for chems and add chlorine to get to SLAM level. Brush and test often. While doing the FC test, use the 10ml sample. There is no need to be more precise than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.