Still Learning

ddmckmle

May 7, 2018
Tomball, Texas
June 2017 the Wife and I bought a Summer Waves Elite 16' X 48" round AG pool, it came with a SFX1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI Pump, canister filter. Everything was going good until the middle of August, I had to vacuum it every day because as soon as I got it clean it got dirty again and then the pool started turning green, so I shocked it, the green went away but stayed cloudy. I could not get it to clear up. I decided to buy a sand filter and installed it. then I used Alum as a flocculant, the next I vacuumed the pool and the water was very clear. But everytime I vacuumed the pool a few hrs later dirt was on the bottom again, by this time winter was here and time to close the pool for the winter. I open the pool in April and still vacuuming and hrs later still had dirt back on the bottom. After doing some research most sand filters have a waste port which mine does not, ( had I done more research before I bought the sand filer I would have bought a different one). still more research I found a Hayward 3-Way PVC Diverter Valve which I have installed before the sand filter and connecting it to the backwash line and now all is good.

My last test results are as follows:

FAC 10 (I shocked the pool last night)
TAC 10
CH 200
CYA 50
TA 90
PH 7
TDS 1000
PHO 100

June 2017 the Wife and I bought a Summer Waves Elite 16' X 48" round AG pool, it came with a SFX1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI Pump, canister filter. Everything was going good until the middle of August, I had to vacuum it every day because as soon as I got it clean it got dirty again and then the pool started turning green, so I shocked it, the green went away but stayed cloudy. I could not get it to clear up. I decided to buy a sand filter and installed it. then I used Alum as a flocculant, the next I vacuumed the pool and the water was very clear. But everytime I vacuumed the pool a few hrs later dirt was on the bottom again, by this time winter was here and time to close the pool for the winter. I open the pool in April and still vacuuming and hrs later still had dirt back on the bottom. After doing some research most sand filters have a waste port which mine does not, ( had I done more research before I bought the sand filer I would have bought a different one). still more research I found a Hayward 3-Way PVC Diverter Valve which I have installed before the sand filter and connecting it to the backwash line and now all is good.

My last test results are as follows:

FAC 10 (I shocked the pool last night)
TAC 10
CH 200
CYA 50
TA 90
PH 7
TDS 1000
PHO 100
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

As you list a PHO number I assume these number are from a pool store test. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. I would say order a TF100 test kit

What we teach is documented in our Pool School.

We generally suggest new members start with these three articles:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome

Stop using Cal hypo, diclor, tri clor as your cya and ch are approaching too high from shifty pool store results.

Use pool math and bleach to as FC to your pool.

Pass on the floc from now on, your going to ruin the sand in your filter with it.

Get a Taylor 2006c or tf 100 test kit as the pool store test is inaccurate and leads to circles of green and money.

No do not use those. That will only add CYA which you don't want to do. Plain bleach is what you want. I buy Liquid chlorine from my pool store. its 10% bleach at 128oz per jug. 4 jugs for $14. I use about 4 cups every evening.

Sorry for all the questions but here is another. When I bought the pool it came with an SFX-1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI 1/4 hp Pump (25 GPM, 1500 GPH), with canister filter. I did not like canister filters from past experience so I bought a Oceania C7-40010 - Above Ground Pool Sand Filter and 1/2 hp Pump System, (37 GPM, 2220 GPH). would it be over kill to run both pumps at the same time which would give me 62 GPM, 3720 GPH, 29,760 GP 8 hrs.

[FONT=&quot]before i forget I don't use sand in my filter I use [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ZeoSand, natural zeolite filter me[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dia,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ZeoSand (ZeoLite), is a sand replacement that has been used by the water filtration industry of more than ten years. The primary reason for ZeoSand’s rapid acceptance by the filtration industry is improved clarity (3 to 5 microns) of ZeoSand versus sand (20 to 40 microns).[/FONT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for all the questions but here is another. When I bought the pool it came with an SFX-1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI 1/4 hp Pump (25 GPM, 1500 GPH), with canister filter. I did not like canister filters from past experience so I bought a Oceania C7-40010 - Above Ground Pool Sand Filter and 1/2 hp Pump System, (37 GPM, 2220 GPH). would it be over kill to run both pumps at the same time which would give me 62 GPM, 3720 GPH, 29,760 GP 8 hrs.
Stick with one pump. Folks generally zero in on pumps and we find they usually need less of a pump and a bigger filter.

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT="]before i forget I don't use sand in my filter I use [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]ZeoSand, natural zeolite filter me[/FONT][FONT="]dia,[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="] ZeoSand (ZeoLite), is a sand replacement that has been used by the water filtration industry of more than ten years. The primary reason for ZeoSand’s rapid acceptance by the filtration industry is improved clarity (3 to 5 microns) of ZeoSand versus sand (20 to 40 microns).[/FONT]
Several folks here use the Zeo products, but we have found that it is unnecessary to switch to them. Sand filters are more than adequate for normal pool filtration and in those times where you may need a little bit more filtering, sand filters can have a little DE added to them to do the same thing as the higher priced zeo

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Until you get your own proper test kit you do not know what your pool water chemistry is.

Your choice, stay with pool store and have a continual battle or get your own kit and have clear, clean, sanitary pool water.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.