Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Learning

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Still Learning

June 2017 the Wife and I bought a Summer Waves Elite 16' X 48" round AG pool, it came with a SFX1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI Pump, canister filter. Everything was going good until the middle of August, I had to vacuum it every day because as soon as I got it clean it got dirty again and then the pool started turning green, so I shocked it, the green went away but stayed cloudy. I could not get it to clear up. I decided to buy a sand filter and installed it. then I used Alum as a flocculant, the next I vacuumed the pool and the water was very clear. But everytime I vacuumed the pool a few hrs later dirt was on the bottom again, by this time winter was here and time to close the pool for the winter. I open the pool in April and still vacuuming and hrs later still had dirt back on the bottom. After doing some research most sand filters have a waste port which mine does not, ( had I done more research before I bought the sand filer I would have bought a different one). still more research I found a Hayward 3-Way PVC Diverter Valve which I have installed before the sand filter and connecting it to the backwash line and now all is good.

My last test results are as follows:

FAC 10 (I shocked the pool last night)
    TAC 10
    CH 200
    CYA 50
    TA 90
    PH 7
    TDS 1000
    PHO 100
    AG 16' round 48" high (the top water level 42") ... 5300 gallons
    Oceania C-740010 - Above Ground Pool Filter and Pump System, 1/2 HP pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chlorine FAS_DPD
    Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by ddmckmle View Post
    June 2017 the Wife and I bought a Summer Waves Elite 16' X 48" round AG pool, it came with a SFX1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI Pump, canister filter. Everything was going good until the middle of August, I had to vacuum it every day because as soon as I got it clean it got dirty again and then the pool started turning green, so I shocked it, the green went away but stayed cloudy. I could not get it to clear up. I decided to buy a sand filter and installed it. then I used Alum as a flocculant, the next I vacuumed the pool and the water was very clear. But everytime I vacuumed the pool a few hrs later dirt was on the bottom again, by this time winter was here and time to close the pool for the winter. I open the pool in April and still vacuuming and hrs later still had dirt back on the bottom. After doing some research most sand filters have a waste port which mine does not, ( had I done more research before I bought the sand filer I would have bought a different one). still more research I found a Hayward 3-Way PVC Diverter Valve which I have installed before the sand filter and connecting it to the backwash line and now all is good.

My last test results are as follows:

FAC 10 (I shocked the pool last night)
    TAC 10
    CH 200
    CYA 50
    TA 90
    PH 7
    TDS 1000
    PHO 100
    Welcome to TFP!!

As you list a PHO number I assume these number are from a pool store test. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. I would say order a TF100 test kit

What we teach is documented in our Pool School.

We generally suggest new members start with these three articles:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome

Stop using Cal hypo, diclor, tri clor as your cya and ch are approaching too high from shifty pool store results.

Use pool math and bleach to as FC to your pool.

Pass on the floc from now on, your going to ruin the sand in your filter with it.

Get a Taylor 2006c or tf 100 test kit as the pool store test is inaccurate and leads to circles of green and money.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" Filled to 40-45"
    2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, Hard Lined 1.25" and 1.5" PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

4. Back To Top    #4

Attachment 76567
    This is what I am using for chlorine, is is ok to use or should I be using something else.
    Houston, Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

No do not use those. That will only add CYA which you don't want to do. Plain bleach is what you want. I buy Liquid chlorine from my pool store. its 10% bleach at 128oz per jug. 4 jugs for $14. I use about 4 cups every evening.
    Imagine/Freedom 13x23 fiberglass inground. 11,200gal. 3/4hp pentair pump. Pentair cc200 cartridge filter. Tf-100 test kit. TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Those pucks have copper, so return or throw them away.
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" Filled to 40-45"
    2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, Hard Lined 1.25" and 1.5" PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

7. Back To Top    #7

Just curious, but how long should I run my pump every day.
    Houston, Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

Just curious, but how long should I run my pump every day.
    We have an article for that-

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry for all the questions but here is another. When I bought the pool it came with an SFX-1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI 1/4 hp Pump (25 GPM, 1500 GPH), with canister filter. I did not like canister filters from past experience so I bought a Oceania C7-40010 - Above Ground Pool Sand Filter and 1/2 hp Pump System, (37 GPM, 2220 GPH). would it be over kill to run both pumps at the same time which would give me 62 GPM, 3720 GPH, 29,760 GP 8 hrs.
    Houston, Texas

10. Back To Top    #10

before i forget I don't use sand in my filter I use ZeoSand, natural zeolite filter media, ZeoSand (ZeoLite), is a sand replacement that has been used by the water filtration industry of more than ten years. The primary reason for ZeoSand’s rapid acceptance by the filtration industry is improved clarity (3 to 5 microns) of ZeoSand versus sand (20 to 40 microns).
    Houston, Texas

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry for all the questions but here is another. When I bought the pool it came with an SFX-1500 PLUS Complete Filtration System with GFCI 1/4 hp Pump (25 GPM, 1500 GPH), with canister filter. I did not like canister filters from past experience so I bought a Oceania C7-40010 - Above Ground Pool Sand Filter and 1/2 hp Pump System, (37 GPM, 2220 GPH). would it be over kill to run both pumps at the same time which would give me 62 GPM, 3720 GPH, 29,760 GP 8 hrs.
    Stick with one pump. Folks generally zero in on pumps and we find they usually need less of a pump and a bigger filter.

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT="]before i forget I don't use sand in my filter I use [/FONT][FONT="]ZeoSand, natural zeolite filter me[/FONT][FONT="]dia,[/FONT][FONT="] ZeoSand (ZeoLite), is a sand replacement that has been used by the water filtration industry of more than ten years. The primary reason for ZeoSand’s rapid acceptance by the filtration industry is improved clarity (3 to 5 microns) of ZeoSand versus sand (20 to 40 microns).[/FONT]
    Several folks here use the Zeo products, but we have found that it is unnecessary to switch to them. Sand filters are more than adequate for normal pool filtration and in those times where you may need a little bit more filtering, sand filters can have a little DE added to them to do the same thing as the higher priced zeo

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator

Support the site

12. Back To Top    #12

hey ddmckmle, how many seasons have you used your zeosand? I have regular sand and add a little fiberclear once I am past OCLT, it helps to polish the last bits out. Curious about your experience with zeo.

Thanks
    13k gal, IG Vinyl (2004), Infinity 2000 Recessed/Top Track Pool Cover (2004), Pentair SuperFlo VS (2017), Hayward S180T Sand Filter (2014),
    Pentair R201276214 Pro Vac (2017), Taylor K-2006+SpeedStir (2017) PoolMath
    2009 HotSpring Vanguard 400 gallon spa (2009) Overnight Chlorine Loss Test FC/CYA Chart
    Rule #1: SLAM Kills Algae, Your Filter cleans the water

13. Back To Top    #13

I started using ZeoSand mid way through last season and it make the water crystal clear
    Houston, Texas

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Hello and Welcome!

Next time you see the dirt on the bottom, try to capture some of it with a paper towel. Does it feel gritty or does it smear green? Let us know. Also, what is your typical FC level when you haven't shocked the pool?
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

I usually like to keep my FC 4 or 5. since I have added that extra 3 way valve there is no dirt returning to the bottom after I have vacuumed the pool, it has been 3 days since the last time that was done.
    Houston, Texas

16. Back To Top    #16

Here are my water test results for today:

FC - 5
    TC - 5
    CH - 150
    CYA - 50
    TA - 100
    PH - 7.4

Was wondering if buying Calcium Hardness Increaser from Walmart woulod be good?
    Houston, Texas

17. Back To Top    #17

Here are my water test results for today:

FC - 5
    TC - 5
    CH - 150
    CYA - 50
    TA - 100
    PH - 7.4

Was wondering if buying Calcium Hardness Increaser from Walmart woulod be good?
    AG vinyl lined pool right? Your CH is fine and not really necessary with vinyl
    18'x41' 30k Gal IG vinyl pool, Hayward 60sq ft DE filter, Jandy TruClear SWG, Pentair Superflo VS, Hayward H400 400k BTU Heater, TFT test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

my pool water temp is 90 degrees today, the outside temp is 96 degrees, looks like I will have to put my sprinkler system on to keep the water temp down.
    Houston, Texas

19. Back To Top    #19

I have been having a green line on one side of the pool at the bottom, I clean it and a week later it returns. I was gone for the weekend got home today and there it was.
    Houston, Texas

20. Back To Top    #20

Until you get your own proper test kit you do not know what your pool water chemistry is.

Your choice, stay with pool store and have a continual battle or get your own kit and have clear, clean, sanitary pool water.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 w/SpeedStir! CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast