Still Learning

So basically mknauss, if someone one cant't afford to purchase their own test kit to test the water themselves and has to goes to a pool store to have the water tested then they can't be helped with their questions and problems on TFP.

So basically mknauss, if someone one cant't afford to purchase their own test kit to test the water themselves and has to goes to a pool store to have the water tested then they can't be helped with their questions and problems on TFP.

I think it's more of a "garbage in, garbage out" situation. Pool stores are notorious for having inaccurate results. There are quite a few threads where forum members have taken the same water to multiple stores and got multiple results. They are also in the business of selling product, product you don't really need. We're just saying that to get the most of the TFP process, you need good data, that comes from the test kits recommended. I don't think there is a single person on the forums that hasn't seen a return on investment from the test kit and TFP practices. The money you save from buying pool store chemicals pays for itself in probably a month or so. Believe me, this forum is filled with incredibly smart and helpful folks, but if they don't have good data to go off, they can't help even if they wanted to.

Hello ddmckmle...welcome to the site...

We would love to help you for sure...getting your own kit just makes it possible to frequently test your pool during SLAM process (with accurate results). You can have your water tested by the pool store if you want, but we just recommend you get your own kit as it has been shown to show more accurate results. I, too, had to save to get my kit... Trust me when I say I didn't have the cash for it...LOL...but once I got it, it changed everything for the better for me. I've maintain my pool and now know the chemistry around my pool. It's like my baby. I will never go back to relaying on the pool store. I don't want to give them that control over my pool chemistry again. Since I've gotten my test kit, my pool has been crystal clear.. I have no regrets.

Nevertheless, we are here to help you in any way we can. I know I still need help understanding pool chemistry. Welcome to the site again.

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 8.41.26 AM.jpg

So the thing is, you can get by with a cheaper kit, I made myself a DIY kit that is sufficient, cost me ~$60 to do so, mostly because I didn't know what was going on.

The FAS/DPD Cl test is the most important in my opinion. The ability to accurately measure FC AND CC in a titration method (number of drops/color change) gives you the ability to only add what your pool needs.

The other tests can be accomplished with lower accuracy with the 6-way HTH test from walmart (the dropper bottles NOT the strips).

If you are trying to go the cheap route, buy the test kit mentioned in the previous sentence, then order R-0870, R-0871, and R-0003 from TFTests (FAS/DPD only kit) or Amazon (there is an amazon smile for TFP but don't feel obliged).

It's like this

Accurate cya test

Accurately mantaining FC at shock level for your cya, SLAM Process

Holding till gone

You cannot do this with a pool store even if they were accurate, you would be going there 3-10 times a day, for free, and they are not accurate.

The hero of this is the fas/dpd clorine test that goes to 50 ppm FC, I'm currently going to 28 FC as I let my pool go because I was working too much, now I have to SLAM Process. Try that with a test strips that say 3-5 fc

Every test kit on the market is either not accurate or no fas/dpd except the Taylor 2006c or the tf100 which is a Taylor kit resized by a forum member

If you doubt our claims about pool store testing, here's an experiment for you:

Take the same water sample to three different stores to be tested, then report back.

For further amusement, calculate the cost of the products they recommend to you and compare that to the cost of your own test kit.

DD, I hope you will decide that a good test kit is worth the money spent on it. It will last you a year or more, and save you so much money over even just one swimming season.

We’re here to help, for no other reason aside from being where you are and knowing there’s an easier, cheaper, better way!

DD welcome to the forum. The only way to know for sure how to help is to be sure of what your "accurate" numbers say. Trust me all want to help...hang in there!

mknauss
user-online.png

Mod Squad
ModeratorBadge.png
Join DateMay 2014LocationLaughlin, NVPosts5,280

[h=2]Re: Still Learning[/h]
Until you get your own proper test kit you do not know what your pool water chemistry is.

Your choice, stay with pool store and have a continual battle or get your own kit and have clear, clean, sanitary pool water.

Take care.​

So when someone says this, it make me think I will get no help until I buy a test kit that I can afford.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. IF your CYA is really 50, then your FC is too low. IF it is really 1.

See this chart.

Don’t worry about CH, not that important in a vinyl pool. And if your PH really is 7.6, it is fine for now.

The problem is, even if those are accurate, you have to be able to test FC multiple times a day to perform a SLAM. With your CYA of 50 from that test, you have to dose your pool's FC to 20 and keep it there as much as possible. It is not practical to run to the pool store 3 or 4 times a day to test your FC. They don't even use the right FC test. It will just say something like over 10. You need accurate info so you know how much to add every time. Otherwise, you are just driving blind. That elevated FC is what is going to clear your pool. Pool stores will try to sell your powdered shock or tablets, which is what you don't want.

every time I get my water tested I put it on here and if needed I can test it everyday

This is the results of the test today

FAC - 1
TAC - 1
CH - 120 (Low)
CYA - 50
TA - 80
PH - 7.6

So tell me what is wrong with that.

Pool store results are not accurate, we don't know if your FC is 1 or 100, is your 120 or 275, is the cya 50 or 2,785? We don't know.

What we do know is there is about a 90% of pool store results being wrong

Get the Taylor K-2006 then. You’ll need to order refills sooner, but by then hopefully you will have saved enough by not having to buy the tabs and so on that it will be easier for you.

Also, please take a look at this link below:

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.