started my conversion last Friday (8/14/09) afternoon

Aug 14, 2009
Atoona, AL
Hello everyone. I am thrilled that I heard about the BBB method and found this forum. One of our customers has been using bleach for several years. She told my husband how much money she saved and how much better her pool looks since she made the switch, so I just had to try it. I started my conversion last Friday (8/14/09) afternoon about 7:00 p.m. By Tuesday morning my pool looked as good as it did the day we first filled it up! (I have pictures!)
Bye-bye Baquacrap!

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, (and I'm sure it has but I couldn't find the answer to it) how much longer will I have to continue to pour the bleach in before my CC level drops down to the appropriate range? I am so anxious to get into that beautiful, crystal clear water! If anyone has any advice that would be helpful to me at this stage in my conversion I would love to hear it.

I haven't set up my signature yet so here is my information...

Samantha

Gadsden, AL - 18' round - 54" deep, vinyl liner AG pool, 2.5 HP Baquapure pump w/ cartridge filter.

" 8. Your conversion is complete when CC's are less than 0.5ppm two days in a row."

Yes, I did follow the directions in the pool school article. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit in saying that my conversion is complete. My water looks incredible but my CC levels are not less than 0.5 ppm yet. I ordered my test kit last week and was told that that FedEx would deliver it to me on Monday. I assumed it would be safe to start the conversion on Friday since it was going to be here so soon. Well, guess what....? It's Wednesday and FedEx still has not delivered! I just tracked it again and now they are saying it will get to me this Friday. (We will see)
I have been using a cheaper kit to keep my FC levels up since I started dumping the bleach in.

When I test early in the mornings and late afternoons, my FC level is around 5ppm and my CC level is about the same. I know better than to place alot of confidence in the cheap kit when it comes to the CC level, but my water still smells alot like bleach so I am assuming it is correct???
I do still need to be adding bleach... dont I? Should I add the CYA now, or wait until my levels get lower? I guess I am just starting to freak out a little bit because my good kit didn't show up as expected.(Lesson learned) I know I should have waited until it arrived, but I don't have that many weekends off work and I knew I would need to be here to keep adding the bleach.

samanthadtv said:
" 8. Your conversion is complete when CC's are less than 0.5ppm two days in a row."

Yes, I did follow the directions in the pool school article. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit in saying that my conversion is complete. My water looks incredible but my CC levels are not less than 0.5 ppm yet. I ordered my test kit last week and was told that that FedEx would deliver it to me on Monday. I assumed it would be safe to start the conversion on Friday since it was going to be here so soon. Well, guess what....? It's Wednesday and FedEx still has not delivered! I just tracked it again and now they are saying it will get to me this Friday. (We will see)
I have been using a cheaper kit to keep my FC levels up since I started dumping the bleach in.

When I test early in the mornings and late afternoons, my FC level is around 5ppm and my CC level is about the same. I know better than to place alot of confidence in the cheap kit when it comes to the CC level, but my water still smells alot like bleach so I am assuming it is correct???
I do still need to be adding bleach... dont I? Should I add the CYA now, or wait until my levels get lower? I guess I am just starting to freak out a little bit because my good kit didn't show up as expected.(Lesson learned) I know I should have waited until it arrived, but I don't have that many weekends off work and I knew I would need to be here to keep adding the bleach.

Which kit are you using in the interim?

Don't add CYA yet, you have to wait till the conversion is complete and the sand has been changed.

Thanks for your reply frustratedpoolmom. I am using a kit I purchased at a local pool store. There is no name brand on the case and I have thrown the packaging away. It is very similar to the kit Wal Mart sells. I can only test the FC, CC, and pH with it.

I sure hope my good kit gets here Friday.

Well, you can try the dilution method with your hardware store kit, use two parts distilled water to one part pool water and mix, test that solution, multiply the results by 3. If your test goes up to 5, this will allow you to test up to 15, though it does lose some accuracy, but it may help you to know if you are getting close to your target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.