Hayward Voyager Filter Problems

jfnz24

Aug 19, 2009
Good afternoon,
I seem to be having multiple issues with my Hayward Voyager Pump/Filter system. I have a 27' Round ABG with 150sq Hayward Filter and 2HP pump. This is about 3 years old, and this is my first season with it, as we purchased the house last fall.

First things first, I am having a problem with flow and pressure. It seems as if I am cleaning the cartridge every other day. When new, the cartridge started at 14 psi. Now, after cleaning, it starts at about 18psi, and quickly rises to about 22-23 psi. This filter element (Unicel C8316) was purchased new at the beginning of June, and still looks new, but quickly builds pressure. I use OMNI filter cleaner in a spray bottle to clean, and have even tried soaking overnight once to no avail.

Other issue is that the top of my filter housing seems to flex when turned on, pushing up about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. Back in June, when I replaced the filter, it was vibrating/cavitating and very loud. Eventually, after about a week, I found that if I put the filter top on just right, it wouldn't make noise and would work fine. About a week ago, it started again, and nothing I have tried has helped. I even tried the original Hayward filter element, to no avail.

Looking at the manual diagram, I was thinking that maybe an internal O-ring was missing, causing the filter to allow some movement. however, nothing is missing.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No known issues with algae or calcium, although there is a slight cloudiness to the water. Chemical check good (8 for CL, 7.6 pH, 120 Alkalinity, 40 Stabilizer)

For cleaning, spray on cleaner, sit for 30 minutes, hose off, especially between pleats (usually takes about 15 minutes). Return to operation.

Didn't want to do the acid soak as 1) not comfortable using acid and 2) didn't want to ruin a new filter.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if the Omni cleaner isn't clogging up the filter. You could try soaking it overnight in a tri-sodium phosphate/water mixture (and I think this is what Unicel suggests as well for degreasing the filter) and see if that helps. Unfortunately, you need another filter to use while you do this.

I've got the same exact filter, and iirc, when I had a 2HP pump, I would hear all kinds of noise from the pump and the filter. I can't keep a working gauge in mine - very poor design to have a back mount gauge in these things.

One other idea - you are bleeding off the air from the filter, right? After you put it all back together?

edit: One other idea - you haven't used a phosphate remover like Phos-Free, have you? That stuff coats your filter and can cause the pressure to go up.

Sorry for the delay, been busy with work.

Anyways, I tried the TSP soak, actually left it in for 48 hours. Upon returning cartridge to filter, start up pressure was at 15 psi, but was up to 21 psi within 30 minutes.

I think I got the noise problem solved. Around the inner ring, I believe I was having some pressure blowback. I installed a piece of fabric (old sock) to act as an impromptu O-Ring, and the noise went away. Haven't had a noise in over a week.

And to confirm, I am bleeding the air from the system. Chemicals are still good, and the cloudiness seems to have decreased noticably, but I still am not happy with the flow when the pressure increases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.