Help with Baquacil

Aug 19, 2009
Hello all. I'm new here and using Baquacil in my 18 round pool. I will be converting soon.

However, right now I have pale green water and cannot see the bottom of the pool. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I've backwashed, rinsed, vacummed, added 2 bottles of shock and it is still the same. Took water sample in, all levels were ok.

Can anyone tell me what step is next or tell me a good Baquacil website? I'm thinking of converting in a few weeks, I just have to print out all the instructions, get a test kit, etc. etc. But I've already spent alot on Baquacil products and I'm at my wits end!

BTW, I have a sand filter and change the sand every year. Is this necessary?

After completing the switch from baquacil to chlorine you may want to change the sand, but I haven't in the past and have not noticed any problems. Regardless some people say to change the sand every 4 years but until recently the sand in my filter was used in multiple filters so it was over 20 years old or so. Personally I only change the sand in my customers pools when the filter is changed itself. BTW I've switched to using Zeobest and I only change 16.63 per 25lbs bag

Hi and welcome to TFP :)
Once you convert, you shouldn't need to change your sand every year. Baquacil does yucky things to sand. I just converted myself this year from Baquacil to chlorine, and am using a salt water chlorine generator. Our pool has never looked so good as it does now. We were always have clarity problems with the Baquacil. Our pool sparkles now and it's so much nicer to swim in.

As to your current problem, sounds like you have algae and would need to add more Baquacil shock, and also maybe try their Performance Algaecide. I think with a Baquacil pool, algaecide is always lurking.

Good luck and I think if you convert, you will be really happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.