First time slammer, checking in

Mdhkdh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 24, 2017
Winter Haven/Florida
So I started my SLAM yesterday mid morning after pool just went green on Tuesday when pump went out. The pump is limping along now on low ( I hope the flow is strong enough for the SLAM?) until Hayward gets me a new replacement this week. Here were my initial test results:

CYA 70
pH 8.2 which I then brought to 7.2
FC 3

I brought FC to shock level 28 and have maintained it by adding bleach. This morning it had held overnight at 28 and mid afternoon today it was 24 so I’ve added bleach to bring back to 28. It seemed a bit clearer although still green this AM so I did brush the walls and floor. They do not look bad at all just the water and I assume that is bc the pool only became green this week.

Here are before and current pics, just looking to see if I’m on the right track or need to make any adjustments...and is there any way to know what timeframe I’m looking at to be clear again. Not impatient, just wondering bc it’s my first SLAM.

Thank you TFP experts!!

Attachments

• 56F5F9E4-6006-4424-9ECA-A2CDEF099BA6.jpg
    56F5F9E4-6006-4424-9ECA-A2CDEF099BA6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 587
  • 499201A5-1493-4B37-BDBE-5FA309E3FABF.jpg
    499201A5-1493-4B37-BDBE-5FA309E3FABF.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 587
Couple other notes...may or may not be important...
There has been a light rain off and on the last 24 hours, and I’ve been running the rover starting this morning.
Regarding the pump flow, I can feel the jet at about 8 inches from the wall but not at 12 inches.

:lovetfp:

You're absolutely perfect. Technically speaking, you don't even need a pump for a SLAM as long as you brush/stir the water enough. Brush when there isn't any rain or lightning to speed it up a little. Careful to not scratch the liner with the brush head ends. You can top off that FC up to 28 up to each hour if you wish, until that is pointless. Remember that all this rain water we're getting is FC 0. You'll see improvements daily, but I'd say 2.5 days till blue and hazy, and since you have sand, maybe a full week until clear again. Avoid backwashing early, even if it's tempting.

- - - Updated - - -

Use the 10mL FC test instructions to save drops also.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for being a bronze supporter!!!

Great, I’ll keep keeping on...

I think I’m doing the 10ml method, but that still takes 50+ drops each test! Is there any way to conserve chems or is that just the price for SLAMing? I ordered my refill kit today bc CYA juice is gone and chlorine reagent is not far behind at this rate!

you can use 5mL water sample. 1 scoop, count each drop as 1FC. Skip the CC tests until water is clear. This is good enough for you since you understand TFP and are SLAMing, not maintaining normal FC. Go back to 10mL after SLAM and for OCLT at end of SLAM.

I was at 24 this AM so brought back up to 28. No real improvement overnight that I can tell...
will I be ok to run next chlorine test at noon? Have to go to work and need more bleach also.

Attachments

• 840AEF54-A92C-49E2-A168-38BBCE19B7AD.jpg
    840AEF54-A92C-49E2-A168-38BBCE19B7AD.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 542
Yep, lunch is fine. SLAMs usually take many days, so POP (Pool Owner Patience) is needed :)

As a note for next year, most of the testing chemicals need to be replaced every year so early in the spring I order a refill kit regardless of whether or not I used them up the previous season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would call it green tinted. Just ran test. Down to 22, adding bleach to get back to 28.

idk maybe it is cloudy blue/green, I’m a first timer so might just not be noticing the slight change.

Attachments

• DDEF8704-91C4-42E6-B01E-849F05A923DD.jpg
    DDEF8704-91C4-42E6-B01E-849F05A923DD.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 515
The water clarity prism usually runs like this. Black, dark green, light green, clear green, turquoise, cloudy blue, hazy blue, crystal clear blue. Mine was you're color green when I opened this Saturday. I am now at hazy blue with little pump run time, maybe 4 to 6 hrs a day, since I don't have the time to babysit my filtration all day long that loads up easily. Keep SLAMing. You will get there in a few days.

I would suggest bringing your CYA down by draining some water off and replacing after you pass the SLAM
You want to stay between 30 and 50 CYA so you don't have to sanitize or shock or SLAM at the higher PPM range. KEEP GOING!!!

I saw the bottom of the pool in places this afternoon and some patches of greenish brown so got in and brushed around. Of course water is a bit greener now but FC was at 25 just now so back to 28 we go and wait for the AM!
I also turned on SWG today just to assist but am going to turn it off for the night. Hoping my TF refill comes tomorrow...I need more R-0871!!

Congrats on seeing the bottom - and BIG CONGRATS for BRUSHING!!!

I just put your photos side by side and I see a BIG improvement. You're doing great. Top off FC when you can, try for twice after work (once sooner, once later). Brush daily when possible. Backwash when you hit 20-30% higher than clean PSI. Taking a little longer than my projection, but totally progressing!

Sun here in Florida is brutal! As long as you thoroughly understand TFP (especially [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]) and can get enough FC tests in per week to keep it above min FC, I highly suggest a CYA of 40-80, even for manual bleach pouring pool owners. In addition to slightly higher sun protection, another benefit is that even when we loose some pool water to splash out, we've still got at least 30 in there at all times before we top off CYA mid-summer. Only potential downsides are - more FAS-DPD drops, more punishing if you let it drop below min too long. It is a personal risk/reward and/or personal preference decision, no wrong or better answer except the one that works better for you.

10am test result was 25, brought to 28. 5pm test is 21 and bein bringing back to 28. Yes, Florida sun is brutal. Should i increase my FC test frequency once my refill kit arrives? I don't feel like I gained any ground today. Cannot see bottom of pool like I did yesterday until I brushed. Should I retest CYA or anything else that might be affecting the process? First pic below is 10am today, 2nd is just now.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180509_102105_1525875685693.jpg
    20180509_102105_1525875685693.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 485
  • 20180509_165206.jpg
    20180509_165206.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 485
If max speed is what you want:
Test FC (skip cc) every 30 minutes and bring it back up until after 30 minutes it has not dropped
Then test & top off every 60 minutes until it has not dropped
Then test & top off every 2 hours until it has not dropped
Then test & top off every 4 hours until it has not dropped
Then 3-4 per day

Brushing can temporarily reduce viability, but speeds things up overall. Appearance only tells part of the story.

The other big xfactor is the CYA reading. Double checking - you're extremely confident it was 70?

- - - Updated - - -

Your more recent picture is a lot more blue! You are making progress!!!

Ok my refill kit came today so I think I will do more frequent tests, probably 1-2 hrs starting tomorrow until it levels.
as to cya confidence I’ll say 75% confident, if anything it may have been 80 instead of 70. If I were to bring FC to 30 instead of 28, just in case cya was 80, would that be a bad idea? What happens with too much FC?

Didnt get get time to brush today but will make sure to tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.