First time slammer, checking in

Rain, rain, go away... and you too, pesky remaining algae!!

Well, I can now see the bottom of the pool all around, still some brown spots that seem to reappear in the same place and a general algae dust on the bottom that stirs up when brushed. Added a gallon of chlorine this AM and 80 oz of this evening based on tests. Rain is affecting the FC I’m sure.

Im sure you’ve probably said this but at what point do I stop adding chlorine now that I can see the bottom?

PSI is at 20 where it was at 18 so probably close to time to backwash. Maybe tomorrow if weather cooperates. I don’t plan on adding DE, I’ll stick to the simple process of letting the filter do it’s job. As long as I can get the kids back in the pool soon, we are good. At least the rain means they aren’t as anxious to get in for now.

I’ll post another pic tomorrow, but it is definitely back to cloudy blue again!! :thumleft::paddle::smile:

Stop when all of these are met Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Rain, rain, go away... and you too, pesky remaining algae!!

Well, I can now see the bottom of the pool all around, still some brown spots that seem to reappear in the same place and a general algae dust on the bottom that stirs up when brushed. Added a gallon of chlorine this AM and 80 oz of this evening based on tests. Rain is affecting the FC I’m sure.

Im sure you’ve probably said this but at what point do I stop adding chlorine now that I can see the bottom?

PSI is at 20 where it was at 18 so probably close to time to backwash. Maybe tomorrow if weather cooperates. I don’t plan on adding DE, I’ll stick to the simple process of letting the filter do it’s job. As long as I can get the kids back in the pool soon, we are good. At least the rain means they aren’t as anxious to get in for now.

I’ll post another pic tomorrow, but it is definitely back to cloudy blue again!! :thumleft::paddle::smile:

Great progress! Our general, non-medical professional, suggestion for HEALTHY humans is you may swim when:
1. FC is between min and shock for your CYA ([FC/CYA][/FC/CYA])
2. the water isn't green
3. you can see the bottom everywhere & you can clearly see swimmers underwater for proper supervision

Based on your report - you're either there or close! Only you can be the judge. If there is any doubt - wait another day and re-evaluate.

Yes, as mentioned above, please continue the SLAM Process until you have passed all 3 SLAM ending criteria listed on that page, including the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. So keep going, but again, at some point, you are welcome to swim during the SLAM, as almost all of us have :) It's really fun to brush from within the pool if no one else is in there. Sometimes I use my goggles and take the brush head off the pole and just manually do the corners especially thoroughly.

Questions?

Lost a little steam today on the slam. AM reading was 28 so no loss overnight but just got home to a reading of 15 after a fullday of sun and no rain. Off to Lowe's or Walmart for more chlorine I go!
Pool is looking hazy blue though with brown spots as you can see.
PSI is at 20-21. Have a kid function to attend tonight though so won't be backwashing just yet...

Attachments

• 20180516_172503.jpg
    20180516_172503.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180516_172515.jpg
    20180516_172515.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180516_172605.jpg
    20180516_172605.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 205
Good progress - we'll be looking for continued clarity improvement and less haze now that you're not plummeting FC overnight anymore.

Despite the good pictures, I don't discern these brown spots you see. Do they POOF away when the brush approaches them and go away to nothing or do they kinda get pushed around? Just to cover the bases, I'm wondering if it is dirt or sand as opposed to algae. You don't have to answer these, just things to lookout for if the problem persists.

The second pic shows the brown spots the best, toward the top third of the pic. The brown spots poof away into a brownish cloud when broomed. Water becomes cloudier so I think it is algae. I broomed after work at 6 and they were back at 9 but not as bad so I broomed again. FC is back to 28 tonight. I plan to take my first attempt at backwashing tomorrow after work.

Does sound like algae, though reappearing in the same spot so fast is a touch impressive. Perhaps slight low spots/dips in the liner? Less circulation in those areas? Just thinking a loud, again we don't have to solve this if it goes away and stays away.

If anything goes unexpectedly, whenever you backwash, just turn pump off and come post about it.

You nailed it on the low spots or dips in liner. Knew I should not have listened to the installer when he said floor pad was gimmicky and unnecessary... he just didn't want the extra work.
Will keep you posted on the backwash this afternoon hopefully!

More progress, and lots of rain today. Wasn't able to backwash though, hopefully tomorrow.
FC at mid AM ... 26
FC at mid PM ... 21

Attachments

• 20180517_175506.jpg
    20180517_175506.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20180517_175450.jpg
    20180517_175450.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 20180517_175548.jpg
    20180517_175548.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 193
  • 20180517_175640.jpg
    20180517_175640.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 194

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. Very close to clear. I am going to say this about poofs of inert matter in the water, and it dispersing when you touch it or move it.

Given your current circumstances...Most likely an brown algae spot close to being dead, and adhering by its slimy sticky biofilm, due to lack of circulation in that area, and missed brushing.

However... It could be very fine sediment as well that is bypassing you're filter for whatever reason.
For 4 years I had a spot on the floor in my pool where the liner was wrinkled, that would collect material. Couldn't figure out why I would always get it there, even during perfect water chemistry conditions and water clarity, and how it was getting past my skimmer sock and new 10 micron pleatco cartridge filter, and reappearing in 15 to 20 minutes after vaccuming it on recirculation. When I swam underwater and physically touched it, it was slightly gritty, put dispersed once touched.

The cause of it was my manual vacuum head leaching out crushed seashell and sand, by the insert plug, the vaccum head was filled with sand and crushed seashell for weight. The only reason why I came to realize this is because in my fourth year I went to go vacuum the pool manually instead of using my Kreepy Krawly, and all sand and shell came out of the head and onto the floor.

So don't rule sediment or algae out.

If it feels gritty then you know it's sediment. If it feels slimy like a biofilm then you know it's algae.

So glad to see the FC demand approaching expected levels! I'm guessing the water clarity will continue to improve daily in pictures (naked eye doesn't always see the difference). When you get to crystal clear, please do let us know!!!

When you can, continue to brush, gently but thoroughly, those brown collection spots. If possible, adjust return just to increase circulation in that area, if only until the end of the SLAM.

Forgot to mention this before, but this $7 100pack of hairnets are a TFP member favorite for skimmer socks should you wish to use any. Totally optional and personal preference.

Just as fine particles settle in liner low spots, so too can sticks, so be mindful when brushing and don't brush anything that even remotely looks sharp.

Good morning!
I wasn't able to do much with the pool from Friday eve to Sat eve so I returned to FC 17 last night. No Overnight loss last night though. Water clarity is getting good but I'm at a loss in getting rid of the brown spots. They do not just return to the same place. You can see in the pics they are spread all over. I've been running the rover several hours a day and only missed brushing yesterday. They disappear in a poof then brushed and when rover goes over them.... but only to return!!! I'm stumped!! And I really need to but stock in kemtech chlorine!!:p

Attachments

• 20180520_101511.jpg
    20180520_101511.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180520_101516.jpg
    20180520_101516.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180520_101552.jpg
    20180520_101552.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 174
Ok! I believe I have discovered the miracle of backwashing and am feeling confident that it is the final stage of my pools cure! My psi is back down to 16, jet stream is stronger than ever and with a clean filter/sand I anticipate the brown spots have met their match. (I sure hope so! ) Before and after pics of backwash below...

Attachments

• 20180520_181101.jpg
    20180520_181101.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20180520_181055.jpg
    20180520_181055.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 20180520_181200.jpg
    20180520_181200.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180520_181322.jpg
    20180520_181322.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180520_181327.jpg
    20180520_181327.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180520_181511.jpg
    20180520_181511.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 172
Yep, you were definitely due for a backwashing!

That stuff looks like dead algae to me. Keep it up, you are almost there!

Ok! I believe I have discovered the miracle of backwashing and am feeling confident that it is the final stage of my pools cure! My psi is back down to 16, jet stream is stronger than ever and with a clean filter/sand I anticipate the brown spots have met their match. (I sure hope so! ) Before and after pics of backwash below...

Awesome! Remember to run a short rinse right after backwash... it clears the laterals of "floaties" dislodged during backwashing =) Then set to filter and go! =)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.