Cannot maintain pool chemistry

teapot said:
What are the opinions on partial drain and re-fill rather than adding your body weight in chlorine :lol: during these situations?
As John noted, if there's cloudiness from algae growth then it's a difficult situation. The longer you wait to deal with it, the longer the algae has to grow in a pool with no chlorine and full of ammonia (nitrogen source) nutrient. The ammonia taken in by the algae is going to need chlorine to oxidize, but be more difficult (slower) to get rid of when it's part of algae which converts a lot of the carbonates in the pool into organics.

I suppose if you had some way of very quickly removing water and then hit the remaining part with chlorine and refilling, then that would be OK, but you'd have to work fairly fast and not take days for the process. Also, though chlorine isn't free, neither is water in large volumes. Of course, the best way to deal with this is with prevention and not letting the chlorine get too low (especially near zero) in the first place.

I wouldn't trust a pool stores results at all. This is a post I made from last week.

just got my TF100 and my CYA levels are weird. Monday I tested with a Leslie pools DPD kit and it showed 110. Thursday I tested the TF100 kit showed 100(after I replaced 1/3 the water. I re-tested and it showed 90. I went to Leslie pool supply(OMG, they are (fill in the blank) and they said it was 45. Yesterday I tested and it was 90 so I went to Leslie's again (painful to be in there) and they told me it was 28, and I should add stabilizer. Today I tested and it was 70(about what I thought it should be after that water replacement)
Are the people at Leslie's or any other pool store just that incompetent or deceitful?? Does it take time for CYA to read lower after water replacement? Does it take some practice getting the readings right? When should I trust my testing?

Also, they said my Phosphates were 300 on Thursday and 800 on Saturday(they tried to sell me a $30 quart of Phos-free and said that Algae live on phosphates.

BTW.....Water is Crystal clear!
Other numbers are:
FC-7.5
CC-0
TC-7.5
PH-7.2
TA-80
CH-160
CYA-70
Temp-80

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.