Pool Still Green After Opening

If Walmart is closer, the price per available chlorine is better on the $1.77 6% Great Value Cleaning bleach if we're just looking at price. If less jugs is the goal, then yup, Store #3 is best. Store #3 is $0.34 per oz of available chlorine, Walmart 6% @ $1.77 is $0.24 per oz assuming its 121oz jug (I can't remember). 10 cents per available chlorine doesn't sound like much, but it can add up. 4 jugs @ 12.5% should raise FC roughly the same as 8 jugs @ 6% but 8 jugs @ $1.77 costs $14.16
Thank you for this!! +1!
Except it's $2.60 per 128oz? Great Value Cleaning Bleach, 128 fl oz - Walmart.com

I have NEVER used this product: But it might be an option for you?
6 gals of 6% @$14.36 Sod/Hypo Pure Bright Liquid Bleach, 1gal Bottle, 6/Carton - Walmart.com
It shows 6% on that site, other sites show it as 5.25%, just a heads up

Not the easy pour? (just to be sure) =))

Confirmed, not easy pour, the exact one in your link. It must just be on rollback locally for me... hrm, I should have bought more. Though I do have a local pool store that will fill my 2.5 gallon jugs with weekly, fresh 12.5% for $9, so if I need a lot, that's my cheapest option.

Confused.......I had to go back and look at my Walmart receipt app thing since I can't get out to the pool shed to be sure. So it says I have bought the Great Value Bleach, 121 oz for $2.94 and also the one that says Cleaning Bleach, 128 oz for $2.60. And I've also bought that liquid chlorine stuff they sell and also Clorox. Been just trying to get what I can get when I can get it. LOL

Not the easy pour? (just to be sure) =))

Not sure if anyone caught it or not but SummerTimeGirl is a stay at home full time Mom and she does not drive. So running around to find the lowest price per oz is not really a value for her lifestyle (in my opinion).

She needs to secure a reliable source for quality Chlorine, get it once and be done. Maybe even buy 5 cases at start of season, whatever is left, dilute down for laundry.

If you are getting good fresh chlorine it "should" be good for a year if you store in a respectable environment basement, garage that doesn't get very hot type of stuff.

I keep mine in my garage up near our inside walls not by the outside walls or by the door where it is warmer.

Getting dozens of chlroine bleach bottles all season, chasing down lowest prices can be fun but personally, I don't have the interest for it, I save so much now by not wasting my money on flocs, clarifiers, algaecides and buying baking soda vs alkalinity up et all, that I am more interested in keeping my life flowing so spending 2-3 even 4 hours a month isn't time I am going to spend trying to save $20-$30- even $50 bucks considering I personally have seen a 40% drop in my pool chemical budget comparing apples to apples since I had been buying Chlorine and everything chemically from Smitty for 8 years now.

Now, I get my Chlorine, stabilizer and MA from Smitty, Borax at WMT and Baking Soda at Sams and that's it.

Give me the serenity to Accept what I can not change, Courage to change what I can and Wisdom to know the difference.

If Target isn't too far, their brand of bleach is 8.25% 121oz. If you have the Cartwheel App, there is usually a 5% off and if you have the redcard (debit card), another 5% off. Also, this week, they are offering a $5 gift card if you spend $25 on household products.
If you have an OLLIES near you, they have some on sale this week (they list it as Pool Shock, it's 1 gallon, just check the date codes).
Ace Hardware also has the HTH brand on sale this week.

She needs to secure a reliable source for quality Chlorine, get it once and be done. Maybe even buy 5 cases at start of season, whatever is left, dilute down for laundry.
Which is EXACTLY what everyone is trying to do for her =)

If you are getting good fresh chlorine it "should" be good for a year if you store in a respectable environment basement, garage that doesn't get very hot type of stuff...
Now, I get my Chlorine, stabilizer and MA from Smitty, Borax at WMT and Baking Soda at Sams and that's it...
You missed she stores it outside in the shed, getting a seasons worth wouldn't be smart $$

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Confused.......I had to go back and look at my Walmart receipt app thing since I can't get out to the pool shed to be sure. So it says I have bought the Great Value Bleach, 121 oz for $2.94 and also the one that says Cleaning Bleach, 128 oz for $2.60. And I've also bought that liquid chlorine stuff they sell and also Clorox. Been just trying to get what I can get when I can get it. LOL
So it looks like you might have gotten easy pour a couple times.
If you can stick with the 10% liquid chlorine (from Walmart) OR the 12.5% from the most convenient pool store, that would help settle your pool down a bit too!
The Cleaning Bleach (128oz, 6%) is a good backup if the others aren't convenient at the time.

You will be handing out advice in no time! =) I have been able to steer several local pool shoppers this season to this forum, such a great resource!

Thanks again everyone I surely do appreciate all this feedback and help. Fun, I'm actually not a stay at home mom anymore. Well, let me rephrase that. I do have one child, a son, and he's 23...almost 24 with a family of his own. But I haven't worked since he was born so these days I'm more of a housewife/stay at home dog mom/Gigi (grandmom). LOL Seems I'm always watching and taking care of someone or something (pool). LOL But yeah, I do not drive. Love and appreciate all the feedback from everyone for sure!

And yeah, I guess I better think of a new place to store my goods. LOL

Thanks for the Target tip! The closest one is also 40 min away so the pool store may be best after all.

In my opinion and experience, someone who is just taking over their pool and CLEARLY has an OCLT failure happening, should NOT be getting coached on running all over their County shopping for Chlorine. Fix the pool, everyone wants to open now, focus on that.

Once that is done, THEN if they want to chase chlorine dates, strengths, be on the look out for junk that gets added to them so be it. Right now, we have an OCLT issue, we need to get some pool strength Chlorine and defeat whatever is happening to the pool, so it can OPEN.

Saving a few bucks MAYBE should come later.

This whole bleach vs Pool Chlorine label non-sense has the potential to create CONFUSION and Cause more problems IF the OP doesn't read every word that is required to know NOT to buy the easy pour spout or watch out this or watch out for that.

Fix the pool!

Then save pennies per oz.

In that order in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. But for now that is what I'm doing. I did ask for opinions on the bleach and liquid chlorine and whatnot so I guess that's why everyone is chiming in with opinions. And I appreciate it all. Gives me something to think about for sure for when I do get to the next step and out of the SLAM phase.

In my opinion and experience, someone who is just taking over their pool and CLEARLY has an OCLT failure happening, should NOT be getting coached on running all over their County shopping for Chlorine. Fix the pool, everyone wants to open now, focus on that.

Once that is done, THEN if they want to chase chlorine dates, strengths, be on the look out for junk that gets added to them so be it. Right now, we have an OCLT issue, we need to get some pool strength Chlorine and defeat whatever is happening to the pool, so it can OPEN.

Saving a few bucks MAYBE should come later.

This whole bleach vs Pool Chlorine label non-sense has the potential to create CONFUSION and Cause more problems IF the OP doesn't read every word that is required to know NOT to buy the easy pour spout or watch out this or watch out for that.

Fix the pool!

Then save pennies per oz.

In that order in my opinion.

... we need to get some pool strength Chlorine and defeat whatever is happening to the pool...
Sodium Hypochlorite is Sodium Hypochlorite, being aware of the % IS how to get the pool swimming ~~
Adding liquid chlorine (bleach) with additives would add to a potentially existing issue
It's an entire learning process.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again everyone I surely do appreciate all this feedback and help. Fun, I'm actually not a stay at home mom anymore. Well, let me rephrase that. I do have one child, a son, and he's 23...almost 24 with a family of his own. But I haven't worked since he was born so these days I'm more of a housewife/stay at home dog mom/Gigi (grandmom). LOL Seems I'm always watching and taking care of someone or something (pool). LOL But yeah, I do not drive. Love and appreciate all the feedback from everyone for sure!
I love the opinions and feedback! It makes everyone think on their toes! And you are a great pool "mom" =))
And yeah, I guess I better think of a new place to store my goods. LOL
If you have a cool/dry location, that would be preferable and ensure their longevity

Ok, granddaughter is down for a nap so I went and did a quick test. My last test was around 9:30am and I was at an 11 (and adjusted then too). Just went out and tested now and it was at 10.2. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that it means it's STARTING to hold longer. Or is that a big loss for such a short period of time?

Ok, granddaughter is down for a nap so I went and did a quick test. My last test was around 9:30am and I was at an 11 (and adjusted then too). Just went out and tested now and it was at 10.2. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that it means it's STARTING to hold longer. Or is that a big loss for such a short period of time?

3hrs, 1ppm? Is it in full/mostly sun? I think you are very close! =)

P.S. YAY for sleeping little'szzzz! Both of mine are up, about and LOUD! lol (we're home sick, uck)

It is starting to hold longer yes =)

4 hours. Not today. Been raining all day!!!! LOL So I'm guessing no?
But still gotta keep bumping FC up to 12 (shock level for CYA @30)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.