PB said my salt system will not work well below 52 degrees

Aug 17, 2009
Hi all-

new to the board and with this sites help I am actually excited about maintaining my own pool!

Anyhow- My pool builder has said that my pentair intelclor will have difficulty chlorinating in the winter (were in southern Ca) and I will need to invest in the floating clorinator and add chlorine tabs in the winter. Is that true?

I believe all SWG stop working when they reach a certain cold temp. The logic is algae or anything else can not grow at that temp or lower. If you are concerened about it, you can manually add bleach in the winter. Check the SWG manual and it should tell you at what temp it stops making chlorine.

You can go the floating chlorinator route but tablets lower PH/TA and increase CYA. If the pool is filtering thru the winter, bleach may be a better choice for you. The first year of a guinte pool, PH/TA can rise, so actually using tablets may be a good idea. After the first winter, bleach will probably be a better choice during the winter months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.