Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB said my salt system will not work well below 52 degrees

1. Back To Top    #1

PB said my salt system will not work well below 52 degrees

Hi all-

new to the board and with this sites help I am actually excited about maintaining my own pool!

Anyhow- My pool builder has said that my pentair intelclor will have difficulty chlorinating in the winter (were in southern Ca) and I will need to invest in the floating clorinator and add chlorine tabs in the winter. Is that true?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB said my salt system will not work well below 52 degrees

I believe all SWG stop working when they reach a certain cold temp. The logic is algae or anything else can not grow at that temp or lower. If you are concerened about it, you can manually add bleach in the winter. Check the SWG manual and it should tell you at what temp it stops making chlorine.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

You can go the floating chlorinator route but tablets lower PH/TA and increase CYA. If the pool is filtering thru the winter, bleach may be a better choice for you. The first year of a guinte pool, PH/TA can rise, so actually using tablets may be a good idea. After the first winter, bleach will probably be a better choice during the winter months.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

When the water is below 50 degrees it doesn't need very much chlorine to stay happy. Adding a little bleach every couple of days will probably be plenty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.