Repairing a leaky return jet

Jerry

Aug 10, 2009
New Orleans
I finally got a guy to detect my pool leak today.
He claims its the pipe just inside the wall, to a return jet.
I am going to repair it myself...he suggests puttin a 1" pipe as far as it will go into the original pipe and sealing a 1.5" reducer & coupling to the jet base with hydraulic cement.

Sound easy enough, no?
Has anyone done this type of repair and can offer any tips?

X-PertPool said:
no that doesn't sound like it will work. you either have to dig up the old line or do something experimental like I did by dragging a 2" flexible pipe through the entire line.
It didn't sound right to me either....what's to seal the far end of the 1" pipe inside the leaking pipe?

I'm tempted to try it as the leak is under 3" of concrete deck.

You could try getting some 1-1/4" sch 80 PV pipe and turning a couple small grooves for o-rings. You'd have to also turn down the pipe some first as the OD of 1.25" is larger than the ID of 1.5". Then, when you slid it in the o-rings would seal. Think PVC expansion couplings - they use o-rings to seal.

Jerry, welcome to TFP!!

Can you tunnel under the deck to get to the return fitting? I know it's not fun, I've done it a couple dozen times :roll:

Another option is to cut a ~ 2 X 2' section out of the deck above the leak and jackhammer out the crete to get to the area in need of repair. I've done this more often than the tunneling and it's easier, if you don't mind wrecking the deck :wink:

If you want to try either of the ways I mentioned, I'll be around to bounce questions off of :-D

waste said:
Jerry, welcome to TFP!!

Can you tunnel under the deck to get to the return fitting? I know it's not fun, I've done it a couple dozen times :roll:

Another option is to cut a ~ 2 X 2' section out of the deck above the leak
The deck is about 5' wide and the leak about 1' from the pool...I've got a concrete blade for my circular saw and wil take a section out - cleanly I hope so I can set it back in.

I left the eyball nozzle out today and the water leakage was less than half what it was...

Jerry, sounds like you've got the right idea :goodjob: When you cut the deck, make a 2 X 2' square centered on the return so you have room to dig and get in there to patch. Keep the poolside cut ~ 1 -2" from the coping.

I hope your blade will go deep enough to cut trough the crete completely (also, there is usually rebar or 6 gauge mesh in the crete). Pulling out a 2X2' chunk of deck will probably require you to sink an eyebolt in the center to let you lift it out cleanly:idea:

I left the eyball nozzle out today and the water leakage was less than half what it was...

This is completely normal as the reduction in the size of the inlet pipe creates backpressure which will flow more forcefully through the break in the line :cool:

I wish you well with the project and am ready to help as needed :-D

waste said:
Jerry, sounds like you've got the right idea :goodjob: When you cut the deck, make a 2 X 2' square centered on the return so you have room to dig and get in there to patch. Keep the poolside cut ~ 1 -2" from the coping.
The leak is only about 12" from the coping (I'm guessing you mean the rounded top edge of the pool).
I was going to just cut the other 3 sides of the access panel...

Today I finally got to the broken return pipe...It was completely severed right against the outside of the pool wall...could not get a sleeve on it but a 1" coupling fit nicely inside... I reconnected the 1.5" pipe and it tested okay.

The last few dry years have made many slabs sink around here and the heavy equipment tearing up our street must have aggravated the sinking and pulled it loose...

I was not able to get the section of deck out cleanly and want to install an access panel in case it leaks again.
Any ideas on what material to use?

Jerry, I've seen a lot of pools that have had to have a ~square of the deck cut out. Wood is ~ok, but a nicer looking solution is to fill it in with white gravel :!: It looks nice and allows easy access if something ever goes wrong with the line again :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.