"Don't run SWG at 100%"...Why?

The special coatings optimize the production of chlorine over the production of oxygen thereby not requiring as high a salt level. If you just put plain platinum or carbon core electrodes in 3000 ppm salt water, you would generate a lot more oxygen. The special coatings may help lower the activation energy for chlorine generation even further and increase activation energy for oxygen.

The other purpose of the coatings is to increase electrode life. Nevertheless, there is some degradation of the electrodes, usually at their edges.

So, as this coating wears off the cell plates it goes ->???, 'cause I just read this -

Ruthenium compounds are encountered relatively rarely by most people. All ruthenium compounds should be regarded as highly toxic and as carcinogenic. Compounds of ruthenium stain the skin very strongly. It seems that ingested ruthenium is retained strongly in bones. Ruthenium oxide, RuO4, is highly toxic and volatile, and to be avoided.
from here - http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/ru.htm

and I'm wondering if my skin will stain, or just tan? :shock:

it is toxic to ingest, hence why it's not advisable to eat cells

to be honest i'm not sure what form ruthenium takes when it leaves the plates (and exactly how much of it actually physically leaves), but the amount of it in a cell is very small. on plates it's bonded with different chemicals to form a ceramic coating, but when it leaves it might be taking a form of ions or something.

the stains from hands are washed off easily with hydrochloric acid

i've worked in R&D and manufacturing of those anodes, and we used full head protective masks with external source of air and protective coats, especially when mixing chemicals to form the coating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.