Cartridge Filter making Noise

Jul 23, 2009
I have a new Waterway Cartridge filter with my new pool. It has been working fine for the last few weeks. Now I have a bad humming noise coming from the filter. Almost like a vibration. It is definitely not from the Hayward pump. When the timer kicks off, it does not start right away, but soon after the noise begins. I cleaned the cartridge, just in case. The psi is at the right amount under 10. There is proper pressure coming from the inputs into the pool. When I switch the value to only go to one or the other input into the pool it stops for a few minutes then starts again. There are not real working parts on the filter. Can it be the O-Ring that seals the filter cover? There is no leak of water, which I had already but was repaired with an O-Ring change. I am a little perplexed. The filter does have a psi gauge on the top and a screw pressure release to let pressure off when opening the filter for service. I don't feel it is coming from either of these, but I could be wrong. An ideas?

If it has some type backflow valve in the filter that could cause the noise you describe. Also if the cartridge(s) are not sealed correctly or an O-ring or gasket is loose, that can cause noise. You can take a screwdriver and listen for the noise by placing the handle against your ear and then touching the blade to the outside of the filter in various places till you pinpoint the area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.