Hayward DE 3600 Microclean Lid gasket reset

hillerji

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
Hi,
After hopefully degreasing my filter I'm having trouble getting the big lid gasket to reset. I've done it before intermittently but I really seem to be struggling now. The clamp bolts are not helping and I think I need to replace them as well. The threads seem to have gotten bunged up pretty good. The gasket wants to pop out when I repressurize the system after two attempts I gave in. In the meantime the water is going south on me. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

JH

I'm assuming you're using gasket lube as you put the gasket back on...?!

Of course, check your gasket... they tend to square themselves over time and that could be causing the leak. You can buy a new one at the pool store.

But it sounds like the clamps just aren't getting the lid tight enough. I had an old Hayward DE filter, and the previous owner had put a different nut on one of the clamp bolts, which eventually caused the bolt threads to mangle. They use very soft metal on those bolts and you have to use the original nuts. Unfortunately, those clamps are VERY expensive to replace (relatively speaking) and they won't sell just a new nut/bolt. It's hard to tell, but if the threads are mangled it will get to a certain point and then it won't tighten any further (even though it still turns).

Somehow I was able to get the old bolt out, and force in a new eye bolt like the attachment shows:
[attachment=0:2tuwa2eq]eye-bolt-bent-wire-with-nut.gif[/attachment:2tuwa2eq]

The eye part was able to hold the clamp as I tightened the nut!

This let me get through another couple of seasons before I replaced the entire filter as it was pretty old.... saved a bit of money not replacing the clamp when I knew I wanted a new filter soon anyways.

My filter was the 60sqft model, so the clamps might be a little different...

Good luck!

Attachments

• eye-bolt-bent-wire-with-nut.gif
    eye-bolt-bent-wire-with-nut.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the help. I do lube it with the standard gasket lube. That's exactly what seems to have happened that back clamp won't go either direction so I think it's time to cut and snip and replace with like you said a temporary fix. I think some kind of stainless set up will fit the bill.
Thanks again,

JH

BEWARE!!!!!

The new parts you need for a Microclear DE filter stopped being made and available in April of this year!! If you do any sort of permanent damage to the o- ring or retaining clamp and/ or the bolts or spring assemblies - YOU WILL NOT EASILY FIND A REPLACEMENT!!

I may have a replacement bolt or spring assembly at work (I'll try to check tomorrow), but the o -rings are neigh impossible to get anymore :evil: (Please see this thread for the discussion)

I truly hope the lube works! Read the thread I linked and be ready to buy a new filter :evil:

Ted,

Thanks for the heads up. Right now I think the main thing is still getting a new bolt in there. I think the gasket is salvageable. Trying to remove that T bolt is going to be a challenge too.

JH

Ted,

Am struggling to come up with a solution and bolt replacement. Tried to reset the old O ring with only 1 clamp for adjusting and it blew out again.

Trouble is lurking I can see. Any chance that bolt was in your inventory?

Ted,

Got lucky on several counts. I was able to create a facsimile of one of the bolts and have it in place. I think also I had forgotten the difficulty in getting the O ring to seat. Once I had 190# laying on the cover and finessing it into place I knew I had it licked. It is now running 24/7 and has had a lot of 12% sodium hypochlorite introduced and it's showing recovery.

JH

Glad you got it licked :goodjob: (BTW - I wasn't able to log on last night, wife had just come home from a few days with her mother :wink: But I did happen to grab one of the bolts yesterday morning - if you find you need it, let me know. Also, it came out quite easily :p )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.