Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where am I going wrong.....algae outbreak

1. Back To Top    #1

Where am I going wrong.....algae outbreak

Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with algae when I open my pool. For the last two years within an hour of pulling off the safety cover I get an outbreak. At first the water is a bit cloudy but I can see the bottom that has a thin layer of silt/dirt. I start the pump, get the water circulating, start vacuuming & brushing then boom........the water is cloudy/green & I can't see the bottom. From then on in I have to SLAM the pool for the next week to get the water sparkling. Is this normal?

These are the closing/opening test results:

Closing: October 15 (followed TFC closing pool instructions)
    FC: 16 (shocked a few days before)
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 90
    CH:250
    CYA: 55
    SALT: 4000
    WATER TEMP: 60

Opening: April 30
    FC: 4
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.3
    TA: 65
    CH: 250
    CYA: 45
    SALT: 45
    WATER TEMP: 45

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
    15K, 16x32 IG vinyl, Jandy 1 Hp Pump, Jandy sand filter, Zodiac Salt System, 266 Raypak Digital Heater N/G, 2 LED Aqualamps, Clear Deck Solar Roller, 2 12" Sheer Descent waterfalls, K-2006 w/ Speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where am I going wrong.....algae outbreak.

You do not seem to be doing anything wrong. You are still showing FC at opening so you should not have an algae problem.

Are you sure it is not just stiring up the dirt and dust that is getting through the cover?

When you start to SLAM are you actually getting high FC losses? Perhaps it just takes your filter a long time to get all the dirt from the previous 6 months out of the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

During the SLAM process there is FC loss.

Are sand filters known to take longer to filter the water? Would a cartridge filter do a better job?
    15K, 16x32 IG vinyl, Jandy 1 Hp Pump, Jandy sand filter, Zodiac Salt System, 266 Raypak Digital Heater N/G, 2 LED Aqualamps, Clear Deck Solar Roller, 2 12" Sheer Descent waterfalls, K-2006 w/ Speedstir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where are you located. Maybe you're waiting too long to open and the water is warming.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just outside Toronto, Canada. The weather hasn't been that great lately, below 60. It just started to warm up so I decided to open the pool. I live in a rural area. I'm wondering if the dirt/silt has a higher organic matter due to the surrounding fields. Not sure if that would increase the chance of algae or not?

6. Back To Top    #6

Sand filters are in fact the slowest to filter out fine debris
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!