pump issue?

Jul 16, 2009
i have been running my pump 24/7 for 2 days now ive noticed the returns will slow down after a few hours i can switch the pump off and switch it back on and the returns speed back up any ideas of what could be causing this? also i noticed the water in the pump basket spins much quicker at first than it does after a few hours

The water in the pump basket should be virtually invisible. No bubbles, and it should actually take a pretty close look to see it at all if there aren't bugs or other small debris in there.

JohnT said:
The water in the pump basket should be virtually invisible. No bubbles, and it should actually take a pretty close look to see it at all if there aren't bugs or other small debris in there.

ah thank you for the reply...does that mean i have too much water in the basket or is it another issue?

What John is refering to is that the pump basket has no air in it. If it is full of water without air it looks as though there is nothing in it but in reality it is full of water. If air is getting into the pump it can affect the flow rate. Also, if there is something in the impeller, it can also affect the flow rate. So do you see air bubbles in the pump basket?

Also, does filter pressure change when the flow rate changes. If so how? This can be an important clue to the problem.

The problem could also be related to the filter. What type of filter do you have? DE filters can sometimes behave that way and may need a grid cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.