Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump issue?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump issue?

i have been running my pump 24/7 for 2 days now ive noticed the returns will slow down after a few hours i can switch the pump off and switch it back on and the returns speed back up any ideas of what could be causing this? also i noticed the water in the pump basket spins much quicker at first than it does after a few hours
    24k IG (plaster) Triton Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump issue?

The water in the pump basket should be virtually invisible. No bubbles, and it should actually take a pretty close look to see it at all if there aren't bugs or other small debris in there.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    The water in the pump basket should be virtually invisible. No bubbles, and it should actually take a pretty close look to see it at all if there aren't bugs or other small debris in there.
    ah thank you for the reply...does that mean i have too much water in the basket or is it another issue?

4. Back To Top    #4

What John is refering to is that the pump basket has no air in it. If it is full of water without air it looks as though there is nothing in it but in reality it is full of water. If air is getting into the pump it can affect the flow rate. Also, if there is something in the impeller, it can also affect the flow rate. So do you see air bubbles in the pump basket?

Also, does filter pressure change when the flow rate changes. If so how? This can be an important clue to the problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

it appears that there is one bubble at the top of the pot...i discovered the pressure gauge is broken today i'll have to replace it tomorrow...we just moved into a new house with a pool

6. Back To Top    #6

The problem could also be related to the filter. What type of filter do you have? DE filters can sometimes behave that way and may need a grid cleaning.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

its a triton sand filter...i back washed today now the bubble is gone!