Delay between shocking and measuring baseline

snewo

Jun 7, 2009
An hour NW of Philly
I seem to have read somewhere that you should wait about a half hour after adding the liquid chlorine before you take a baseline measurement. That doesn't work for me at all. I suspected that I might have some algae in my pool, so it was time to give her a shock. Using the pool calculator I entered the amount that should get me to a FC of 24 (my cya is 60). Here is what I saw:

.5 hours after adding bleach: FC = 22.5
1.5 hours after adding bleach: FC = 25.5
2.5 hours after adding bleach: FC = 26.5

Yes, I had my SWG turned off (0%). No, I do not suspect operator error on performing the test. Here's what I think.

I think the number of gallons that I've been using is slightly off. I'll have to work on that one. I always add chlorine by a return and I always measure from the same spot, so maybe the pool's circulation takes a little while to fully mix the liquid chlorine.

Does anyone else see around a 2.5 - 3 hours wait in order to get accurate test results? It kinda makes doing the whole overnight loss test a time sensitive event for me. Just curious if some others have seen the same thing. FWIW, my filter was ready to be backwashed and I did so after the 2.5 hours, so perhaps the full amount of water was not circulating.

I know others say to add the bleach in one spot in front of an active return, but I've always walked it around the perimeter with the pool running. I feel that doing it this way will both get the chlorine into all the water more quickly, and also, have the full effect more quickly :cool:

Any chance you will repeat this experiment and see what the difference is in distribution/ cl rise? :wink: :cool:

I do what Dave does. I may not go around the entire perimeter unless I am adding quite a lot as could be if you have to raise shock level up very high, besides, I use 12% so the quantity is smaller than would be at 6%. I also don't have a normal return. My return is the 10 in ground pop ups. I know my pool gets mixed quite well in a short amount of time.

The same thing happened again last night.

9:45pm I added enough chlorine to get me up to FC 24
10:15pm I measured FC 22.5
1:05am I measured FC 25

I'm going to take your advice and spread the chlorine around a bit next time. I've always been adding in the deepend by a return, but tonight I'll add all around and see if it makes a difference. That is, of course, if it ever stops raining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.