Pool is cloudy and you can see stuff floating

Barb

Aug 17, 2009
We too had a green swamp looking swimming pool We did get rid of the green but our pool is cloudy and you can see stuff floating in the pool. Small stuff that you can't get out with a skimmer. I have been working on the pool levels and it seems even when they all read good the pool is still cloudy. I haven't seen the pool bottom for about 6 weeks! Our pool does seem to be eating the chlorine and I have had to add PH up to the pool the last 4 weeks. Any suggestions? :grrrr:

Welcome to TFP!!

You've found us and that's the first step :goodjob:

You need to help us help you by reading POOL SCHOOL, so you have a basis of what we suggest. Also, we need to know what type of pool you have (AG, IG, crete, fiberglass or liner , current chemistry numbers! and what chems you have been adding) - I know it sounds like a lot but, without that info... all we can do is guess :( I assure you that we can get you to a trouble free pool if you'll work with us and answer our questions and we'll get you there more quickly and less expensively than the vast majority of pool stores :-D

Unfortunately, major pool problems take time to develop and , as a result, can take a little time and effort to fix :cry: We are here to help you take control of your pool so that it becomes a source of pleasure, not frustration, large outlays of money on a regular basis, and constant work!

I look forward to your response, so we can have your problem fixed ASAP! :party:

Hi Ted,
Sorry, I realized last night while I was laying in bed thinking about the pool that I had not put the size and type of pool I have in my post.
I have an above ground 18' round pool, with a liner and a sand filter. We purchased it used last August, and bought a new liner for it. When we opened it in May it was crystal clear and stayed that way for a good 7 weeks with me taking samples to the local Ace Hardware here that does water testing for pools and sells chemicals. Up to that point I had only had to add shock, on a weekly basis, some conditioner, (stabilizer) and some PH down. I had added some water, as we were having very dry weather and our water level had gone down. Shortly after that we had a heavy rain fall and shortly after that our pool turned a little green. We got rid of the green but have never been able to get the water clear again. I am cleaning it a couple of times a week, and have been adding shock a couple of times a week and it seems I have to add ph up each week. I also have a floating chlorine tab dispenser. I have been taking my water sample a couple of times a week and it seems my pool is almost always at 0 for chlorine and I have to add the ph up. I have been backwashing my filter on a regular basis as well. I am willing to try the bleach as suggested but just wanted to make sure that is what I need to do. I always thought that too much chlorine can make your water cloudy. Many friends have suggested I drain the pool, although I have read that you never want to completey drain the pool as the liner can shrink. One other thing, we feel we need to change the sand in the filter but want to wait until we close the pool, or before we open it to do that. The previous owners had the pool since 2001 and only changed the sand once. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! My brother has an inground pool with a liner and his is always crystal clear, I am so jealous!!!
Thanks,
Barb

Have you read Pool School? :wink:

I would advise you to:

Order your own test kit
Shock your pool with liquid chlorine
Stop using tabs (possibly)

I would wait to change the sand, it may also be that you are backwashing "too much" - dirty sand filters better. You can try adding a little DE to the sand to improve clarity - instructions are in pool school.

Tablets are acidic - the lower PH/TA and they raise CYA.

If your CYA is too high, your chlorine becomes ineffective - the higher the CYA the higher the FC must be - refer to the chart in my sig.

So without knowing what your CYA and FC, CC levels are, we are guessing at this point, but I suspect you need to lower CYA and shock the pool.

You need your own test kit so you have total control of your pool. Instructions on how to shock your pool are in Pool School - along with an article that compares the three test kits we recommend (which you'll likely only find online, so order today! LOL)

If your CYA is higher than 70, you will need to do a partial drain/refill to lower the level to a manageable number, then proceed with shocking.

If your CYA is 50 or higher stop using tabs today.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.