liquid versus tablets expense

DavidEC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2009
Hello,
General question:
If I own a 24' round pool (52" deep), and it is currently in good chemical balance, how much and how often is liquid chlorine added (I know that it comes in different strengths so if anyone can take a guess based on their experience, just include the strength).
I am new to this site, and am going to make the switch to the BBB method from the 3" tablets that I use now in a Hayward inline chlorinator.
I'm just wondering generally how much more money and more work am I in for, to get a better balanced pool?
It seems that adding the chlorine a little at a time during the pump operation would be optimal; but I haven't found very many positive words for any good automatic liquid chlorinators besides SWG. Anyone have a good one that they like.
Right now, with all of its downsides, I load up the Hayward with nine tablets and adjust the mixture daily.
I know that I'm trading a better balanced pool for a little more work, and that is definitely worth it to me, especially with kids.

Thanks,
Dave

The total costs are just about the same between trichlor and bleach/liquid chlorine. You do need to add chlorine every day, rather than just refilling the inline chlorinator with tabs once a week. The strength of the bleach/liquid chlorine determines how much you need to add, but not how often.

The only bleach/liquid chlorine feed system that seems worth trying is The Liquidator, but it does have it's issues. Some people have gotten it to work without any significant problems, others have trouble.

If you look at a Cost Comparison of Chlorine Sources you'll see that factoring in the pH Up and/or Alkalinity Up (or grocery store equivalents) you need to use with Trichlor, that chlorinating liquid is roughly 20% less expensive and bleach can be 30% less expensive, but this really depends on specific pricing in your area. However, as Jason points out, the main reason to use chlorinating liquid or bleach is to avoid the problems associated with a buildup of Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and the extra cost and hassle associated with fighting algae growth. Also, using chlorinating liquid or bleach provides a more consistent level of sanitation and oxidation of bather waste keeping the pool safe and clear.

Thanks very much for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've owned my pool for several years now (came with the house). Every year it starts out clear and ends the season somewhat cloudy, even though my test strips show it to be ok (I assume that the reason test strips aren't rated on this site in the test kit section is because they are so inaaccurate?). After joining this site and reading the pool school, it'll be a different story next year. I don't mind adding chlorine every day. Right now I need to find the money to buy the $70 test kit!
Thanks again,
Dave

You know, you really don't have to add it every day. Especially when you get to know the personality of your pool and your current climate conditions. There is a target range min to max depending on your CYA level. What I do and many others also do is take the FC ppm to the max and then only add chlorine every other day or sometimes even longer because it takes that long to get to the minimum.

At first, though, it's good to be sure to check your levels every day and dose if needed, so you can learn how your pool behaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.