Mini Max pool heater

Apr 30, 2009
My sister had some issues with her pool heater. It turns out that the circuit board and all the wiring burned up.
I replaced the circuit board, wiring, and gas valve.

Once turned on, the "HEAT" LED on the circuit board fails to come on. The Service Light LED is lit.
Any suggestions? I posted a message a few months back, but just replaced the gas valve this weekend.

Could this be a gas pressure issue?
thanks,
cat

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you open the unit and see if any of the other LEDs on either the controlboard or the 'Fenwal' are lit or flashing? It's possible that it's a gas issue (not enough gas in the tank, too small line or too small regulator) or even, just the gas not being turned on (there may be more than one valve to open :roll: )

Please let us know as much as you can about this and we'll help you nail it down :-D

This unit used to work until the heat in the cabinet burned up all the wiring.
The circuit board had a burned trace as well, so I decided to just replace it.
The electronic ignition was also damaged.
So, I've replaced all of the major electrical parts, which were all damaged.
New circuit board, new ignition, new gas valve.
There is a thermo fuse (senses the heat in the cabinet) and 2 pressure switches.
They are all making contact, closed (I believe that is normal).
No other lights (inside the circuit board) are lit, not that I remember.
The service light (on the front panel) comes on as soon as the heat knobs are turned up.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Can you open the unit and see if any of the other LEDs on either the controlboard or the 'Fenwal' are lit or flashing? It's possible that it's a gas issue (not enough gas in the tank, too small line or too small regulator) or even, just the gas not being turned on (there may be more than one valve to open :roll: )

Please let us know as much as you can about this and we'll help you nail it down :-D

Yes, most of the wires melted. But it just so happened that a different sister was replacing her Spa Heater. And the old one was just like the one that my other sister neede. Man, this can get complicated.

I did re-wire the entire system at first until we found out that the wiring harness from the unit that my sister replaced was exacly the same.
Any other suggetions as to why the 'service' led is coming on and the 'heat' led not lighting up on the front panel?

waste said:
Quick idea - did any of the wire casings melt resulting in one of them grounding out? (if yes and it's small, you can save some $ by just wrapping the exposed wire with electrical tape :) )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.