Trouble clearing cloudy pool

Apr 25, 2009
Hi, I have been trying to clear up my pool for the past week and half. It was a green swamp initially due to the pump dieing 3 months ago, and we just now fixed it. I brought it to shock levels initially based on the pool calculator, and the water has turned to a blue cloudy color. Its been like that for the past week and is just not clearing up. This a.m. I ran the vacuum to filter instead of to waste because the water level was already low and only had 10 mins before leaving for work. As soon as I started vacuuming, I got a white plume coming out the return vents. Do you think my filter grids could be damaged? Or is it just that it was overwhelmed with the large volume of silt and dead algae and didnt catch it all? The grids were fine when I cleaned them this spring. However, I havent checked them since I installed the new pump. I'm just trying to figure out why it is taking so long to clear the water. Today was the first day I could see past the third step, but now that I vacuumed, I can't see past the first step again. I just feel like I am not making any progress.
TIA

My numbers:
FC 24
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
CA 360
TA 130
CYA 20

Keep vacuuming...as slowly as possible to collect the junk off the bottom.

Keep brushing....I know it turns the pool cloudy....it lets the filter pick up the junk

Run your filter 24/7 backwash/clean as necessary

This clean up stage requires you to be somewhat aggressive and have patience at the same time. Keep your FC up and be very proactive at helping your filter clean out the mess.

POP (pool owner patience) comes into play right about now.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. It is so hard to be patient. I was mostly concerned with the blow-back from the vacuum through the return jets. Does anyone have any advice regarding this. I am new to owning a pool, so pardon my ignorance if it is just something basic I am overlooking. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.