After plumbing SWG I have blu-ish stains

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
My white plaster inground pool has developed a bluish stain on one end.

This could be due to a couple things I suppose. I am in the middle of converting to a SWG system. Just yesterday I cut out my 3" tab chlorinating stack and cut in a SWG. This involved a significant amount of purple primer and blue glue. I suppose its significant, maybe not, who knows. I didnt run the pool for 24 hours to let the glue cure. I then ran the pool and noticed that one end had developed a blu-ish stain.
Also, now my pool water is running through the SWG chamber which has Titanium plates in the chamber. The electric is not hooked up to the unit yet. Not sure that any of this has anything to do with it.
20180429_181951.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
20180429_181520.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I'm at a loss to explain this.
Any thoughts?

R,

Well, since you have never turned on the SWCG, it can't be the problem...

Could be the blue glue, but I doubt it...

Have you added the salt yet? If so what brand of salt did you use??

What other chemicals have you added recently??

Let's see is some of our other members have any ideas...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't think that it's the glue or primer.

Maybe copper, but it doesn't look like typical copper. The plaster doesn't look white, it looks green and blue, which usually means copper.

Try ascorbic acid on a spot.

Primer contains ingredients like Tetrahydrofuran, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Cyclohexanone and Acetone.

Primer is flammable, so it might make an engine operate, but I suspect that the engine would not work properly and would damage the engine over time.

I don't think that there is any type of oil. Oil would interfere with the solvent weld.

Primer contains ingredients like Tetrahydrofuran, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Cyclohexanone and Acetone.

Primer is flammable, so it might make an engine operate, but I suspect that the engine would not work properly and would damage the engine over time.

I don't think that there is any type of oil. Oil would interfere with the solvent weld.

Good thinking JamesW
- as for the moped, I think we beat on it for a weekend- then never thought about it again.

The only chemical I added was Trichlor. Trichloro-s-triazinetrione to be exact. I have used up all my chlorinator products (I only use bleach with the occasional Trichlor granules) and so had to go get a couple pounds of Trichlor from the big box store to keep the pool chlorinated until I get the electricity run to the SWG. One of the packages of Trichlor I poured out at that end, exactly where the stain is. But I've used Trichlor before and never had an issue, so I cant think it had anything to do with that. No other chemicals.

I have not added salt yet. I wanted to get my water tested first to see what my TDS numbers were, cause that water is like six years old and thought I might need to do a refill/partial refill before loading it with salt.

I just cant explain it any other way than the cleaner/glue. Nothing else has gone into the pool.

Is there a source of copper?

Maybe from a heater, ionizer, algaecide or in the trichlor?

Did the pH and alkalinity get really low?

Do you have a picture of the whole pool?

Try ascorbic acid on a spot. Crush up some vitamin C and sprinkle it on a spot.

Is there a source of copper?

Maybe from a heater, ionizer, algaecide or in the trichlor?

Did the pH and alkalinity get really low?

Do you have a picture of the whole pool?

Try ascorbic acid on a spot. Crush up some vitamin C and sprinkle it on a spot.

No source of copper. I use nothing in my back yard where the pool is. Im very careful not not introduce anything, particularly fertilizers.
No heater.
Not entirely sure what is in the Trichlor other than chlorinator... there is 46.5% "other" ingredients in the package: https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Essentials-25506ESS-Treatment-1-Pound/dp/B00PZZG1Z8

The PH was unusually low.

Ill post a pic tomorrow when I get back home

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the packages of Trichlor I poured out at that end, exactly where the stain is.

Spitballing here...

Trichlor
is full of CYA (acid), right? If by "poured out" you mean it was able to drop into the pool, sink to the bottom and lay there, then that could have burned your finish (as it did mine). My stain is a slightly lighter area on dark pebble. I have no idea what a CYA burn on white plaster would look like, but it might not be "bluish" at all. It might be discolored in some way (lighter or darker than the surrounding plaster) and turned blue by the same light principle that makes the rest of your pool water look blue on top of white plaster.

I hope that's not it. My stain seems to be permanent...

The only chemical I added was Trichlor. Trichloro-s-triazinetrione to be exact. I have used up all my chlorinator products (I only use bleach with the occasional Trichlor granules) and so had to go get a couple pounds of Trichlor from the big box store to keep the pool chlorinated until I get the electricity run to the SWG. One of the packages of Trichlor I poured out at that end, exactly where the stain is. But I've used Trichlor before and never had an issue, so I cant think it had anything to do with that. No other chemicals.

I have not added salt yet. I wanted to get my water tested first to see what my TDS numbers were, cause that water is like six years old and thought I might need to do a refill/partial refill before loading it with salt.

I just cant explain it any other way than the cleaner/glue. Nothing else has gone into the pool.

Trichlor granules should not be poured into a pool and allowed to sit on plaster. Trichlor is very acidic (pH ~ 4.5) and it dissolves much slower than dichlor. When the granules sit near the plaster, the local water chemistry becomes very corrosive as all of the TA will be consumed and the pH will be lowered. Those are likely acidic etching stains in the plaster from where the trichlor was sitting. If you drained the pool and inspected the spot, you'd likely find that the color and texture of the plaster in that spot is different from the rest of the pool.

I agree with the others, it's almost certainly not primer or glue. They dry quickly, are not soluble in water and, even if they did make into the water, the pattern would not be that perfect.

Trichlor granules should not be poured into a pool and allowed to sit on plaster. Trichlor is very acidic (pH ~ 4.5) and it dissolves much slower than dichlor. When the granules sit near the plaster, the local water chemistry becomes very corrosive as all of the TA will be consumed and the pH will be lowered. Those are likely acidic etching stains in the plaster from where the trichlor was sitting. If you drained the pool and inspected the spot, you'd likely find that the color and texture of the plaster in that spot is different from the rest of the pool.

I agree with the others, it's almost certainly not primer or glue. They dry quickly, are not soluble in water and, even if they did make into the water, the pattern would not be that perfect.

I think that makes sense. I suppose I've just been lucky for nearly ten years of dispersing Trichlor in exactly the same way. The pool pump was running at the time, so I dont know if the granules would necessarily just sit there. I think the point you make about the texture is correct. My pool really needs re-plastering and in those areas where the staining has occurred the texture is different/rough. Maybe time for re plastering.

Its quite a coincidence that this 1 Lb. of Trichlor decided to stain my pool at the same time that I'm retrofitting a SWG. But not impossible certainly.

The plaster doesn't look white at all. It looks turquoise or blue.

Is that just the pictures?

Did the TA go to zero?

Yea thats just the pic. Not sure about TA. I noticed this late and was too tired to mess with much more than a pic and a post. The color on the stairs is really grey-ish, whereas deeper it looks more blue, which I suppose makes sense. Ill get home tomorrow and do a proper water test

It could be that the original plaster color is blue but then, over years of exposure to chlorine, the plaster faded to grey (all plaster fades to grey). Then, when you etched it, the original blue color appeared.

My plaster is like that and I have photos that show what the plaster surface color looks like compared to bulk.

It could be that the original plaster color is blue but then, over years of exposure to chlorine, the plaster faded to grey (all plaster fades to grey). Then, when you etched it, the original blue color appeared.

My plaster is like that and I have photos that show what the plaster surface color looks like compared to bulk.

Thats an interesting thought. I purchased this home as a foreclosure and so I knew nothing of the pool history. As it turned out the pool was pretty swampy with a ton of rotted leaves and other debris all of which stained the plaster. Over the course of ten years the plaster has become whiter to be sure but deep stains still exist.What it originally looked like I have no clue, or even how old the pool is is a mystery to me.
It occurred to me that the grey look might just be the underlying gunite. As with everything having to do with this pool, time will tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.