Help me decide on a cleaner for 15X30 AGP.

Uzona

Jul 10, 2007
Arizona
Hi Everyone.

I'm shipping back my Pool Rover. We gave it a week and it never picked up the dirt. I chose the pool rover based upon the glowing reviews at other forums. For whatever reason, mine never worked properly. It's possible that I may have just gotten a bad unit with an under performing pump.

So I'm back in the market for a cleaner for my 15X30 AG Pool. I'm in Arizona, lots of dirt and dust gets in the pool. There are no trees in the area so leaves are not a problem. There are a few vines planted along the block wall that surrounds the backyard, as they mature I can see some flowers and/or pollen getting into the pool.

Here are the candidates..

Hayward Aquabug - This is what I was originally planning on buying, but I bought the rover instead. Most people seem to like them but I've read reviews that state they work well if the bottom of your pool is smooth but will go in circles if the bottom is not smooth. The bottom of my pool is very dimpled, so I'm concerned about the bug getting stuck.

Barracuda Ranger - Is this a better option than the Aquabug? How does it perform if the bottom of the pool is bumpy?

Polaris 65 - Works on return inlet instead of suction. I like that the pool can skim and vacuum at the same time, but will it pick up the fine sand and dirt at the bottom? Lots of reports of problems with this cleaner, but apparently there was a recall in the past. Have those issues been resolved?

Pool Rover Plus - Yes, I'm actually considering spending even more on the Plus version even though the original failed to perform. My wife thinks I'm nuts; she's probably right. The plus version has water jets on the bottom. The theory is the water jets help stir up the dirt so the vacuum can pick it up. I still have concerns about the robotics covering the ends of the ovals. The original never picked up enough dirt for me to judge whether this is an issue or not.

Robocleen - Originally chose the pool rover over this because reports of robocleens not lasting as long as the pool rovers. Are they less dependable? Same concerns about robotics covering the ends of the oval apply here.

So what say ye? Which cleaner do you think would work best given my situation? If you have any insight to any of the above cleaners I'd love to hear your experience.

I use the polaris 65 (because it came with the house/pool when we bought) and ive had some issues with it.

The biggest issue is when it wont change directions. I took it apart and identified what is happening, and it is just a result of poor design.

There is a valve and piston in it with two seals on the piston, one angled in each direction of the piston travel. Once these seals lose the slightest bit of seal, the unit stops changing direction. I fixed mine (permanently) i think by taking the piston out, heating up the seals, and bending them outward slightly. It hasnt had this problem since then.

I think it does a pretty good job of getting up lots of things on the floor, and because it has jets that spray against the floor, it seems to stir any silt and other small particles up enough to either get bagged or skimmed out.

Also, if you do go with a Polaris 65, make sure you follow the instructions on how long to cut the hoses. It seems like the longer the better (which is what the previous homeowner did) but if you actually follow its instructions, it doesnt get tangled up and works pretty well.

I have a Hayward AquaBug, and it does fairly well , although I normally just manually vacuum the pool myself. The bottom of my pool isn't perfectly smooth by any stretch of the imagination, and the 'Bug still does OK. It doesn't clean the walls though, and if the mats under my stairs get pulled out a bit, the 'Bug will get stuck on the mat. Oh..and the 'Bug has a tendency to get stuck by the stairs, too. Did I mention that I usually manually vacuum?? :lol:

We have a StaRite (Hayward) Lil Shark which does excellent if you have dimples or issues with the flat bottom. It does not clean the sides though and will get stuck at the steps so you have to persuade it to move around them.

I would just try another Rover unit. You probably got a bad one and that happens with all of the cleaners on the market, bound to be a bad one occasionally.

I have the Hayward Aquacritter, basically the same thing as the Aquabug, and it has worked great.

I have an Intex metal frame pool 18x48, about 6280 gallons and the pool is circular.

It cleans about 95% of the bottom of the pool in about an hour and half, and I just hand vacuum the rest, so it has saved me many hours of hand vacuuming.

my pool has a view dimples, and it gets stuck or off course every now and then, but it un-sticks itself and eventually gets what it might have missed.

I love the thing and it has been the best thing I've bought for the pool since upgrading the pool filter.

thanks for the responses..

wolfmarsh...that's the same issue I had read about with the Polaris. Seems to be pretty common.

I think i've narrowed it down to going inexpensive and giving the Aquabug a chance or going the opposite extreme and giving the Pool Rover line a second chance. I tend to agree with NWMNMom that the one I received was probably just a bad unit.

I've been vacuuming manually, but I'd like that to be the exception rather than the rule. Like many people, I work some long hours and what free time I do have I'd rather spend with my family. I also want my family to be able swim in a clean pool during the week when I don't have time to manually vacuum. It would be much more convenient if I can toss a cleaner in for a couple hours a few times a week either before or after work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.