BBB in a brand new pool

Aug 16, 2009
Southestern PA
I've been reading about pool chemistry and BBB on this site, and have learned quite a bit.

What do you think of doing this?

In a brand new just filled pool, using Trichlor (in a chlorinator) until CYA level reaches N (not sure what "N" should be - what should it be?).

Then switch to BBB.

The reasoning is that since it is a new pool (and my first - total noob), the pool company will "support" me for a while using a "pool company approved method" (Trichlor) should anything go haywire. And it will get me some CYA in the pool.

But I do not want to use the Trichlor for an extended period because I do not want to be draining and refilling the pool due to CYA build up - there are issues with where the water will go if it is drained, and I have a well which makes it scary to pump massive amounts of water into it.

Welcome to TFP

Yes, you can startup with trichlor. You'll gain CYA pretty rapidly because you'll be using a lot of chlorine at first due to the low CYA. Chem Geek can tell you how much CYA each puck adds, so if you keep a count, you can know when you are close. The exact level to shoot for with CYA depends on a lot of things, including where you live. My pool seems to like 40ppm really well, but YMMV.

Hi newpull,

newpull said:
In a brand new just filled pool, using Trichlor (in a chlorinator) until CYA level reaches N (not sure what "N" should be - what should it be?).
Generally, the recommended CYA level is 30 to 50; however, depending on your location, sun exposure,etc., it could be higher.

What type of pool do you have? Adding your pool and equipment info in your sig would be helpful.
Instructions are in Pool School in the first article.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

newpull said:
In a brand new just filled pool, using Trichlor (in a chlorinator) until CYA level reaches N
That will add CYA relatively slowly, compared to adding straight stabilizer. For each 10ppm FC you get from trichlor, you will get 6ppm CYA. If you're shooting for CYA 40-50, you'd need a cumulative 70-80 ppm FC from trichlor. It will take a while to use up that much trichlor. If you know how many gallons your pool holds, you can use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much trichlor that is. I usually figure it takes 7-10 days for a set of tabs to dissolve; you should factor that into your decision.

If the pool builder starts you off with some pure stabilizer you should be sure to find out how much they add, and whether it's 100% CYA. Obviously whatever you get that way should be subtracted off whatever you decide to add via the trichlor method.
newpull said:
I have a well which makes it scary to pump massive amounts of water into it.
The usual major issue with wells is undesirable metals, primarily iron; wells can also have high calcium, depending on where you are. A softener would help, especially with the calcium, if you have one.

Assuming you've acquired one of the recommended test kits or a reasonable facsimile, you should run a CH test on your fill water, because it can make a difference how to manage your pool water. Also get it tested for iron (not a test you'd find in any normal pool test kit).
--paulr

Butterfly said:
What type of pool do you have? Adding your pool and equipment info in your sig would be helpful.
Instructions are in Pool School in the first article.

Well... I don't have anything yet. It's not finished...

But it will be 20x40 gunite (I am guessing 25-30K gallons), DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump. It will have full sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.