servicing my DE filter

pikeman

Jul 6, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
I have a Hayward DE filter and due to my neglecting timely service needed to open it to break loose the DE clog.
In the process I dropped a very nice Snap-On combination wrench into the filter and it slid all the way down to the bottom. Out of reach. I tried to disconnect the vane assembly from the standpipe, but it did not want to part company. Rather than damage it with excessive force I put the filter back together with my wrench in the bottom of the housing.
So how much force does it take? I was pulling pretty hard. And assuming I don't damage it, is there an o-ring I need to replace to make the seal? The diagram is not very detailed - it appears there is a seal of some sort and I am assuming it's an o-ring.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Pete

Most times, just a little 'side to side, wiggling' will let you lift the grid assembly out :) However, about 5 years ago, I ran into a grid assembly that had been GLUED on from the factory :shock: :rant: (the tell tail was the purple primer drips running down the standpipe :wink: )

Did you backwash the unit first? A seriously overcharged filter can weigh so much that one ~strong person can't get it out :( Did you try rinsing off most of the DE with a garden hose before trying to remove it?

A magnet should retrieve your lost wrench :) Also, if it's a 'Pro - Grid" with the 2" standpipe, the only seal that should be there is an o- ring :cool:

I Have to deal with 100s of Hayward DE filters each year, if you need more help from me, just let me know :cool:

waste said:
Most times, just a little 'side to side, wiggling' will let you lift the grid assembly out :) However, about 5 years ago, I ran into a grid assembly that had been GLUED on from the factory :shock: :rant: (the tell tail was the purple primer drips running down the standpipe :wink: )

Did you backwash the unit first? A seriously overcharged filter can weigh so much that one ~strong person can't get it out :( Did you try rinsing off most of the DE with a garden hose before trying to remove it?

A magnet should retrieve your lost wrench :) Also, if it's a 'Pro - Grid" with the 2" standpipe, the only seal that should be there is an o- ring :cool:

I Have to deal with 100s of Hayward DE filters each year, if you need more help from me, just let me know :cool:

I didn't see any evidence of glue. I had backwashed it first and then used a garden hose to wash out DE that was pretty stuck toward the top of the vanes. So the assembly was free of DE. I know it's not a Pro-Grid, the housing says Nautilus FNS / Purex Triton. My owners manual has a Hayward title page and logo - so I guess they're a subsidiary.
I'm going to visit the website again and see if I can find more details.
And I'm going to buy a strong magnet! I can't believe there isn't one around the house.
Pete

TRazzNJ said:
Hayward's website should have a blow up of your filter with a parts list. You should be able to look at it and figure out what you need to do. What is the model #, maybe I can help
I think I'm just going to have to wiggle it a bit and get it loose. It's never been taken apart, so that has to account for the "stuck" quality of it. I reviewed the pdf online under enlargement and it was legible.
The magnet option is certainly attractive though so I'm going to try that first and if successful "let sleeping dogs lie".
Pete

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.