Can not keep PH down

Poolidiot

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Texas
Need a little help here, My PH will not stay down in the 7.2 - 7.5 range. Every time I turn around it is 7.8 - 8.2 range. Friday I brought it down to 7.2, Saturday it was at 7.5 and today it is at 7.8. I have no aeration system of any kind, and there has been no one in the pool since Thursday. My latest numbers are:
FC - 4
CC - 0
TC - 4
PH - 7.8
ALK - 100
CYA - 40

So what am I doing wrong?

Bleach or Cal Hypo will constantly push PH up.

I use a little tri-chlor during the day to keep things steady and it pushes PH down so I get a pretty good balance. Of course I have to closely watch the CYA and adjust chlorine levels from that. Occasionally I drop the water in the pool and replace to keep the CYA levels in a good range.

Terry

notvaporlocked said:
Bleach or Cal Hypo will constantly push PH up.
Only temporarily. When you add bleach or cal-hypo the PH goes up. But then as the chlorine gets used up the PH comes down again to just about where it started. Long term the effects of bleach and cal-hypo are more or less PH neutral.

Poolidiot, There isn't normally any need to keep PH down below 7.5. If the PH is stable around 7.7 or 7.8 you might as well let it settle there. That said, lowering your TA will slow the rate that PH increases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.