New pool owner

brug64

Aug 16, 2009
OK so we just got this summer cabin that was my husband grandfathers. It has a 18' diameter pool they said they normally kept it at 4-5 foot deep. It has not been used in multiple years. We went up to check it out last weekend. Pulled off the winter cover to find algae. I took a look at the filter that they had and I am a little stumped. It is a metal container, they said it was a sand filter. But I do not see a lever to switch from filtering to backwashing? It has the name Lomart on it and they said they got it for free from a friend years ago. We are in a colder climate, so pool would only be operating for about 2-3 months Now for my questions.

1. Should we just get a new filter, or if you think we could salvage the old one, where should I look to figure out how to work it??
DSC01224-1.jpg

2. I looked up how to get rid of the algae, but I am not sure which chemical route would be best for us. We are willing to devote the extra time initially to clearing up the algae, but once it is clear we will only be at this summer home once a week, sometimes every 2 weeks. IS there a convenient way to clorinate the pool while we are not around, or should we give up hope of having a pool at the summer home because it would not be feasible to maintain it without being there constantly?

Sorry, cannot see your pics. It wants a log in or says the pic has been moved.

There may be a lever that you twist and pull up to switch from filter to backwash.

I think your best bet would be to invest in a salt water generator, but frankly, unless you are going to have someone around at least once a week or so to check on your pool, you are really gambling.

The odds of you being able to maintain a pool with visits that infrequently are not good.

Given your short season, it hardly seems worth the major effort it would be. That said, it can be done but you will need paid help, I think.

This also may be the case where sticking with trichlor tabs and dichlor shock may be the way you should go. Keep a large floater with pucks going. You may need to plan on dumping most of your water every swimming season because of increasingly high CYA levels.

Thank you all for your comments. We went to the pool place and they said that it was possible to go about 7-10 days between clorination using a self chlorinator with slow releasing "pucks". So we are going to give it a shot.

You are going to leave a filter running unattended for 9 months? Did I misunderstand, summer cabin up north, swimming for 3 months maybe. Do you visit every week all year or just summer?

Molson said:
I'm assuming the pool will be closed for 9 months, and open for the other 3.

Forgive me, I'm in Texas. By closed, do you mean, power off, covered up, winterized, etc? I understood from reading that no one keeps a floater with pucks in it for the winter.

So, are you talking about summer usage? As in, opened in the early summer, partial drain if necessary, shock to rid algae, get all chems in balance before swimming, and then visit every week or two at the cabin and maybe swim then?

Um, 3 months. With an automatic chlorinator, I'd probably try that. Shock before leaving with cal-hypo or bleach, fill the chlorinator with pucks and cover it up as you go. Certainly good for a week, maybe two, I'd guess. Not sure about whether it is wise to run or not run the filter when no one is there for 2 weeks but the local authorities will know better I suppose.

ah yes, we are going to winterize the pool and bring the filter into the cabin for the winter. We are up in Buffalo, so the winters definitely require it. Pool time around here is normally open mid-late may, and close in beginning of september.

"So, are you talking about summer usage? As in, opened in the early summer, partial drain if necessary, shock to rid algae, get all chems in balance before swimming, and then visit every week or two at the cabin and maybe swim then?"
Yep this is exactly it.

For running the filter while we are not there, we are going to get a timer, the pool guy said to run for eight hours at night, does that sound long enough, or do you think we should run it more than that.

Also if anything went totally wrong, they are close with the neighbor across the street, he checks in on the property and mows the lawn, so I am sure he would notice it. (we just didn't want to ask him to take care of a pool for us too, because he has already done so much for them)

I think you can make it work, the main thing with having the neighbor be able to check on things is a real plus - just have him make sure the water level is up and the pump is running "normally". I think 8 hours a day is probably good but I would make sure there are some daytime run hours - to help prevent FC dead spots - try 4 hours daytime and 4 hours night time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.