Have Air In My Returns

Capt.,

Well, assuming the bubbles are continuous, you have a suction side leak. That can be anywhere from the skimmers to the pump. Is the water high enough to prevent air being sucked into the skimmers? The pump basket seal is a common place to suspect, also. Some pump basket have a drain plug on the bottom....is that tight?

To confirm the air is coming from the suction side of the loop, you should be able to look into your pump basket and see bubbles in the water being drawn into the pump. From that point, it will take some common sense detective work to determine the source. Once you find it, the fix is normally pretty easy.

Jandy valves are usually the culprit. The way I track down air leaks (and if you don't have a SWC, it is indeed on the suction side of the pump) is to use a length of PVC pipe, 1/2" works well. Use it like a stethoscope. Hold one end to your ear, and then trace out the plumbing with the other end. When you hear the bubbles stop, you've found the leak! :)

Thanks for all the help. The culprit was one of the drain plugs on the pump was not tightened all the way. 2 turns and no more bubbles. What a relief. Now if only I could get the water to be warmer then 60 degrees without running the heater.

I too have a leak in suction side somewhere and have not been able to locate. Have air in pump basket but have checked all the usual areas, seal on pump basket, the soap/water trick - everything and I just cannot find it. We seem to have more air coming out of the returns this year. Is this really a problem, can it do damage? I guess if the answer is yes I have to call in the pool repair guy.
Thanks for any info
Watergirl

captainstabbins said:
Thanks for all the help. The culprit was one of the drain plugs on the pump was not tightened all the way. 2 turns and no more bubbles. What a relief. Now if only I could get the water to be warmer then 60 degrees without running the heater.

How bout the redneck way of heating your water....
57.jpg
:lol: :thumbs up:

POOLGIRL said:
I too have a leak in suction side somewhere and have not been able to locate. Have air in pump basket but have checked all the usual areas, seal on pump basket, the soap/water trick - everything and I just cannot find it. We seem to have more air coming out of the returns this year. Is this really a problem, can it do damage? I guess if the answer is yes I have to call in the pool repair guy.
Thanks for any info
Watergirl

First off, Welcome to the site. Does your equipment give you the ability to isolate your skimmer/s and drain/s??? If you can shut one down at a time, that may provide some help in trying to detect. I am sure others will have additionals options as well. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.