Jandy TrueClear for 14.5-15K gallon pool

It produces .93lb/day of chlorine. The Aquapure 1400 produces 1.25lbs/day. I would spec out the Aquapure instead of the TrueClear.

Lardo,

Let's hope you are getting a VS pump with either one...

You will have to run the Trueclear for 10 hrs at 100% output to maintain a 3 ppm FC loss per day.. 20 hours if you drop the output to 50%..

You will have to run the Aquapure 1400 for 7 hours at 100% output to maintain a 3 ppm FC loss per day... 14 hours if you drop the output to 50%...

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lardo,

Let's hope you are getting a VS pump with either one...

You will have to run the Trueclear for 10 hrs at 100% output to maintain a 3 ppm FC loss per day.. 20 hours if you drop the output to 50%..

You will have to run the Aquapure 1400 for 7 hours at 100% output to maintain a 3 ppm FC loss per day... 14 hours if you drop the output to 50%...

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day...

Thanks,

Jim R.

ugh.
yes, we will have a variable speed pump.
We are at our max for budget, and the 1400 would be about $400 more. Not even sure if I can get the wife to sign off on the additional $400 at this point. :(

Going to look into it though.

ugh.
yes, we will have a variable speed pump.
We are at our max for budget, and the 1400 would be about $400 more. Not even sure if I can get the wife to sign off on the additional $400 at this point. :(

Going to look into it though.

Well you don't need to get in trouble over it! The AquaClear is fine it will just need to run longer to create the same amount of chlorine which also means the cell may burn out faster.

See what your builder sells the Nature2 FusionSoft 1400 for. Many times builders get steep discounts on this one because they have a consumable mineral cartridge that they make money on after you buy it (Nature2/Jandy/Zodiac). Key is, you don't need to and should not (ever) use the mineral cartridge. Just leave the blankout plate on. It is the exact same specs as the AquaPure and may be identical under the hood. That is what I have (see my sig).

All 3 of these are Zodiac products and play nicely together if you are getting (or ever will get) Jandy automation.

Well you don't need to get in trouble over it! The AquaClear is fine it will just need to run longer to create the same amount of chlorine which also means the cell may burn out faster.

See what your builder sells the Nature2 FusionSoft 1400 for. Many times builders get steep discounts on this one because they have a consumable mineral cartridge that they make money on after you buy it (Nature2/Jandy/Zodiac). Key is, you don't need to and should not (ever) use the mineral cartridge. Just leave the blankout plate on. It is the exact same specs as the AquaPure and may be identical under the hood. That is what I have (see my sig).

All 3 of these are Zodiac products and play nicely together if you are getting (or ever will get) Jandy automation.

Everything I am getting from the PB will be Jandy.
I am getting the Aqualink, so most of everything will be automated.

I will check on the Fusion, thanks!
To get the 1400, I would have to justify the cost of $400 bucks vs what we would save in power a year by going with that 1400.

Since this is all new to me, I am assuming what we are ultimately talking about is power usage correct? Running that pump longer will use more power, where as the 1400 would run less, thus less power usage.

Everything I am getting from the PB will be Jandy.
I am getting the Aqualink, so most of everything will be automated.

I will check on the Fusion, thanks!
To get the 1400, I would have to justify the cost of $400 bucks vs what we would save in power a year by going with that 1400.

Since this is all new to me, I am assuming what we are ultimately talking about is power usage correct? Running that pump longer will use more power, where as the 1400 would run less, thus less power usage.

Power yes but also the saltwater generator cells burn out over time. The more you run them, the faster they burn out. Typical life is 3-5 years. Figure $500 for a new cell. I don't know that you could justify it on power alone especially with a VSP since you may be running the pump 24x7 anyway so no savings there and the SWCGs don't use a whole lot of power themselves to activate the cell. Check out cell replacement prices before you commit to the one you want.

The TruClear replacement cell insert (R0693900) is under $300.00. So, saving $400 initially and $300 on a replacement cell is probably worthwhile.

The pump can be run continuously for very low cost.

The TruClear won't communicate with the automation and it doesn't measure salinity. You just connect it to the pump relay to control power.

It's a simple system, but it works well enough for the savings to be worthwhile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TruClear replacement cell insert (R0693900) is under $300.00. So, saving $400 initially and $300 on a replacement cell is probably worthwhile.

The pump can be run continuously for very low cost.

The TruClear won't communicate with the automation and it doesn't measure salinity. You just connect it to the pump relay to control power.

It's a simple system, but it works well enough for the savings to be worthwhile.

Do most pumps on pools run 24/7? I am assuming with the VS pumps, they are quiet?

Ya, I was aware it did not do automation and I just set the output on the panel.
Since I am doing the TFP maintence care of my pool :) I figured I would be out there anyways testing the water, I can adjust the output if I need to while I am out there.

The pump only needs to run long enough to allow the SWG to produce the required amount of chlorine.

The percentage setting only controls the percentage of On time for the cell per cycle time. I don't know the actual cycle time of the TruClear. But, if it's 100 minutes and set to 30%, it will run for 30 minutes, then be off for 70 minutes and then the cycle will begin again.

The percentage has no relationship to the pump run speed.

The TruClear does not have a flow switch. It uses a gas trap design. The pump speed only needs to be high enough to keep gasses from building up in the cell.

Usually, the pump can be run between about 1,000 and 1,500 rpm to get the SWG to work.

At 1,500 rpm, the power use is very low and the pump is very quiet.

The pump only needs to run long enough to allow the SWG to produce the required amount of chlorine.

The percentage setting only controls the percentage of On time for the cell per cycle time. I don't know the actual cycle time of the TruClear. But, if it's 100 minutes and set to 30%, it will run for 30 minutes, then be off for 70 minutes and then the cycle will begin again.

The percentage has no relationship to the pump run speed.

The TruClear does not have a flow switch. It uses a gas trap design. The pump speed only needs to be high enough to keep gasses from building up in the cell.

Usually, the pump can be run between about 1,000 and 1,500 rpm to get the SWG to work.

At 1,500 rpm, the power use is very low and the pump is very quiet.

You Da Man!!

Great information, thanks!

The TruClear won't communicate with the automation and it doesn't measure salinity.

This seems 50% true. There's no Salinity sensor but the TruClear documentation clearly shows it has an RS485 plug for automation purposes:

Install RS485 for Jandy Automation
The power pack comes equipped with a slide out RS485
connector. The RS485 connector is used to connect the
Jandy TruClear chlorination system to a new or existing
AquaLink
®
Automation System.
Loosen DO NOT REMOVE the two screws
securing the RS485 connector bracket in place.
Slide out and expose the 4 pin RS485 connection
terminal.
From an open auxiliary on your automation system
run the RS485 cable to the 4 pin RS485 connection
terminal.
4. Unscrew cable fitting nut, pass RS485 wires
through and re secure nut.

from: https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0613500.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.