Is my FC level safe to swim

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
I have a SWG, that has worked beautifully until a thunderstorm kicked the ground fault breaker unknowing to me. I discovered this when my water became very cloudy suddenly. I have shocked it with clorox several times to no avail, the realized i need to up my CYA from 50. Making a long story short, my CYA is 80, FC 9 and clear. Is it safe for a three year old to swim - if not when? Is it any way to bring the level down faster. It has been so slow to drop - 1-2 a day. My family is driving me nuts to swim. My other numbers are good. Thanks!

MOM&POP DIY said:
I discovered this when my water became very cloudy suddenly. I have shocked it with clorox several times to no avail, the realized i need to up my CYA from 50. Making a long story short, my CYA is 80, FC 9 and clear.

You were trying to shock your pool & it was not clearing so you raised your CYA level?

Check out the pool school article on shocking your pool & the overnight free chlorine loss test

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

But to answer your question, with a CYA of 80 & a FC level of 9 it is safe to swim in as that is the target FC level of a non SWG pool with a CYA level of 80

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Yes, you are correct that 80 is a good #, but it would have been cheaper to shock ($$ for chlorine) at a lower CYA level.

Also, lots of us feel that it is safe to swim in FC levels that are above the Min and below Shock levels, based on your CYA level. Yours is good to go for swimming :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.