Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my FC level safe to swim

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my FC level safe to swim

I have a SWG, that has worked beautifully until a thunderstorm kicked the ground fault breaker unknowing to me. I discovered this when my water became very cloudy suddenly. I have shocked it with clorox several times to no avail, the realized i need to up my CYA from 50. Making a long story short, my CYA is 80, FC 9 and clear. Is it safe for a three year old to swim - if not when? Is it any way to bring the level down faster. It has been so slow to drop - 1-2 a day. My family is driving me nuts to swim. My other numbers are good. Thanks!
    AquaRite Salt Water System
    18 x 36 - 4ft to 8ft depths
    29,100 inground with vinyl liner
    Zodiac G4 Barracuda
    Haywood Filter s244 - sand
    Two little people standing by the pool wanting to swim!
    Nashville, NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my FC level safe to swim

Quote Originally Posted by MOM&POP DIY
    I discovered this when my water became very cloudy suddenly. I have shocked it with clorox several times to no avail, the realized i need to up my CYA from 50. Making a long story short, my CYA is 80, FC 9 and clear.
    You were trying to shock your pool & it was not clearing so you raised your CYA level?

Check out the pool school article on shocking your pool & the overnight free chlorine loss test

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

But to answer your question, with a CYA of 80 & a FC level of 9 it is safe to swim in as that is the target FC level of a non SWG pool with a CYA level of 80

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

3. Back To Top    #3

I raised my CYA to 80 as that is a recommended level for SWG. I read that it was important to have good CYA levels first - so i corrected that number. Is this right?
    AquaRite Salt Water System
    18 x 36 - 4ft to 8ft depths
    29,100 inground with vinyl liner
    Zodiac G4 Barracuda
    Haywood Filter s244 - sand
    Two little people standing by the pool wanting to swim!
    Nashville, NC

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you are correct that 80 is a good #, but it would have been cheaper to shock ($$ for chlorine) at a lower CYA level.

Also, lots of us feel that it is safe to swim in FC levels that are above the Min and below Shock levels, based on your CYA level. Yours is good to go for swimming
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!