Out of wack forgot my readings!

Salt H20 Pooler

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2009
Costa Mesa, CA
Balancing our out of wack SWP

My husband is new to caring for our 10,800 gal quartz SWG pool - we have a Pentair Intellichlor, a Pentair IntelliFlo4 160 and a FNS P60 Vertical Grid DE filter. We've been having a recurring battle with the mustard algae and scale on the SWG and when you see our readings you'll understand why! So glad I found this website!! We bought one of your test kits (salt sticks too) and we did the calculator. I need to know what order we should things - do we should start at the top of the calculator with adjusting the FC, then PH, then TA down the calculator chart or should start by adjusting the salt, then the CYA then the TA etc as instructed in the "Water Balance for SWG's"? Keep in mind we are having family over tomorrow- Sunday about 1pm to swim!!
Thanks for you help with this!!

Balancing our out of wack SWP - Husband added PHOSfree!!

I'm in here trying to get answers my husband is out there trying things! Pool store sold him some PHOSfree he added about 25oz of it - mustard algae is gone just like that. I hope that stuff isn't bad for the pool!

FC: 2
pH: still 8.2 after adding 16 oz 12.5%. Husband is going to add 16 more oz but Pentair book says to add no more than 16 oz per day!!!!! should we keep adding it?!
TA: 140
CH:570
CYA: 50
SALT: 2900 he is going to add 40 lbs salt now.
CSI: .96

What next?
We have a pool party tomorrow is it ok to add stuff today?
Thanks!

Re: Balancing our out of wack SWP - Husband added PHOSfree!!

Adding more acid is fine. You want to be careful not to allow the PH to go below 7.2, so you don't want to add the full amount all at once. But you can add some acid, wait 30 minutes, test the PH, and then repeat.

PhosFree will sometimes cause the water to get cloudy, but if that hasn't already happened it won't be a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't answer about the phosphorous.

Have we determined how your water looks? I just brushed thru the other posts and saw no mention of water clarity but there must be some visible problem...right?

Salt H20 Pooler said:
where does the phoshorous come from? Once we get the pool balanced will we continue to have an issue with it?

Not really sure where the phosphates come from, but I would assume from your fill water. In a properly balanced and sanitized pool, phosphates aren't an issue. Several members on here such as JasonLion have high phosphates in their pool, but have no problems at all from them. The PhosFree your hubby added really wasn't needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.