BBB In the winter (Texas)

Jul 2, 2009
OK.. probably 3-4 months of swim season left, but I'm wondering...

I think my pool manufacturer said that algae won't grow once water is below 57 degrees. As the water temperature drops, should I reduce my target FC levels based on the water temperature? I don't generally close the pool or anything like that.. the pump runs year round and I monitor water balance in the winter (and I've even had crazy kids jumping in the water to swim in January!).

I would not reduce the target FC. Algae may grow more slowly, but chlorine will kill more slowly as well (essentially, all chemical reactions slow down at cooler temps). You should find that the rate of chlorine loss drops dramatically. In my own pool, it drops from around 1 ppm FC per day to less than 1 ppm FC per week.

Poconos (Al) at The PoolForum in this post noted algae growth at 40F (and in some post I can't find he even found it under ice) so it is not true that algae won't grow in colder water. It can, but it does so much more slowly and it's less likely.

Richard

That is a really good question. I have a personal observation that I experienced this past winter. In Arizona, we don't winterize our pools. This winter, while I was recuperating from an illness and surgery, I couldn't get out to take proper care of my pool. Over 4 weeks of temperatures fluctuating greatly, I watched, through the window, my pool turn from blue to green to blue to green as the temperature changed. I had no idea it would do that, on it's own. When the temp got really cold, the pool turned blue, when it warmed up it turned green.

In cold water, getting algae is much less common and any algae you do get will grow very slowly. The amount of chlorine you need to use will be much lower when the water is cold and you can reduce the pump run time as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.