We SAW the algea, but NO CC's on drop test! So do we shock?

Maria

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
West Chester, PA
Ok, I thought I had this down, and now I'm stumped! Here's the situation in a nutshell...

Rainy and very little swimming this week, pulled back the solar cover and had some small areas of faint algae in the shady part of the deep end. Brushed it off.
Discovered the pump had been left to pull from the skimmer only, and the water was very high=poor circulation.
Have been using BBB all summer with much success, haven't had to shock yet.
Husband tested at 10 a.m. PH 8.2, FC 7.0 drop test, he didn't know to test for CC's.
Added acid in two steps to bring PH to 7.5.
I went to the store and loaded up on Bleach to go into Algae killing mode.
Tested at 1 p.m. and FC at 4 and CC at ZERO!!! Tested twice with same result.
Other numbers: TA: 110 CH:220 CYA: 30 plus a bit but not 35 WaterTemp: 81 Full Sun on pool today

Is the sun or the algae eating the chlorine?

Do I need to shock?

thanks as always for the help!

It would suspect a combination of both the sun and algae. If you saw algae in your pool then you should shock it, regardless of the CC showing .5 or zero. I have just gone through a stint with some bad algae for a few weeks and my CC was either .5 or zero every time I tested.

You need to do an overnight test. This way you can rule out the sun eating any chlorine and if there is a lower level of chlorine in the morning than there was the night before you know it is the algae eating it.

Overnight test part of the ALGEA KILLING REGIME----CHECK!
FC at 12.5 at 3:50--ha gotcha!

FC at 4:30 14.5
FC at 5:35 14.5

I think I caught it early! I'll check again a couple of times tonight, and then do the overnight by checking first think a.m.

thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.