Mounting to Underside of Coping

hollywoodfrodo

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
Lakewood, CA
Pool is still being built - no gunite yet - so "built into" system would be preferred. On one side of my pool we have a raised wall area. It's going to be a weeping wall with water spilling down the side. On the coping above that wall I'd like to have light that shines down on the wall.

I'm not particularly looking for suggestions on the lighting itself - I've done a lot of research and from what I can see there is 1) Approved Fiberoptic Lighting and 2) Technically not approved, but still used by some Waterproof Low Voltage LED Strips

What I'm wondering is if there is anything that exist that could be installed as part of the construction gunite/coping part of the build to that wall that would serve as track on the underside of the coping to which I could later install whatever lights I wanted to. Then I could decide later, especially because if we go the Fiber-optic route ultimately, we could not afford it now. But of course now would be the only time to have some type of track built in so we don't later have to figure out how in the world to attach lights to the bottom of the coping.

Here's a render of what the wall is like at day and night:

Any suggestions on mounting brackets that could be built in would be appreciated.

I like your idea. That same idea has been on my mind for about 2 years. My pool is already built but I like the idea of "under cabinet" style rope or LED string lighting all the way around the pool under my coping. I haven't put much effort into looking for a solution but I've thought some ideas for attachment could be a caulk like liquid nails or silicone caulk. I don't think cementing or plastering in place would work and of course cost much more to boot. You are doing the prep work at the right time for sure!

Yeah, my research says silicone caulk would work, but it makes me nervous because eventually, one day, those LEDs will need to be replaced so then trying to remove and replace could be difficult.

Another challenge I'm facing should I decide to go the LED route is that my pool is free form so as you can see in the picks the coping above the fountain is wavy not straight across and LED Strips are flat and straight - they bend easily the one way but not the way I'd need them to bend (side to side) if they are flat against the coping. Haven't quite figured out how I might address that...

Might ultimately be more trouble than it's worth - I know a lot of people say they rarely use the water features or "extra" light features on their pool - but I'm a gadget guy and I like coming up with unique cool looking lighting.

If it were me. I’d simply take a piece of 2” flex pvc pipe, cut it in half the long way to form a “C” shape, and have that embedded into the underside of the coping for a channel for what ever type of lighting will work there. That way you could use silicone to hold the lights in place, and it would be easier to remove the silicone when replacing.

If it were me. I’d simply take a piece of 2” flex pvc pipe, cut it in half the long way to form a “C” shape, and have that embedded into the underside of the coping for a channel for what ever type of lighting will work there. That way you could use silicone to hold the lights in place, and it would be easier to remove the silicone when replacing.

Not a bad idea... Still considering the possibility - lights aren't a "must" on this because it'll get some light from the main pool lights which are both pointed towards the wall. And we don't want lights on there for night aesthetics if they look ugly during the day either... But we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.