Cloud when filter starts

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have noticed recently that when I first turn my filter on, I get a yellowish brown cloud flowing out of the returns for about 5-10 seconds (dirty DE?). I have taken the filter apart and hosed the fingers down and inspected them, but I don't see any obvious holes or tears. They look, to my uneducated eyes, to be in pretty good condition. It's hard to give them each a thorough inspection with how many there are and how closely together they are bunched.

What could the problem be?

Sorry for the delay :oops: (my computer decided - once again - that I was getting too complacent and now has me jump through a new set of hoops to get where I'm used to getting in one click :lol: :rant: )

To check the tubesheets you've got to take it apart and inspect where the metal shaft comes through both the top and the bottom - that's where it will crack. Also look to be sure the washers and "E" clips are in place.

I experience a little of this in the morning after the pump has been off all night. The main reason is the green soup that has collected in the skimmer & filter baskets from leaves, pecans, etc.

My usual routine is to empty the baskets in the morning. The organic material collected over the last 24 hours sits in the still water of the skimmer and makes a lovely green soup or tea. Yes, it probably would be better to empty the baskets in the evening :hammer:.

Does the yellowish brown cloud appear every time you turn on the pump, or only after it has been off for a while?

No better time to make time to correct this than while cleaning up the filter for opening...

Once again, Ted's expertise shines through

cracked_tube_sheet.jpg

It's amazing that little crack can cause that much trouble. No more bumping without relieving the pressure first for me!

This also made me curious:

fingers.jpg

Why do some of the tubes have the little X's in them (and at different depths)? Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks for the glowing testimonial (your check's in the mail :lol: ) :bowdown:

Go ahead and pull up one of the little x's - it fits down the tube and is supposed to keep the tube from collapsing or breaking (they weren't there in '95, but are now) - this also explains the "-" on the top sheet... you can't let them escape :)

Now that you've mastered your filter, I hope you'll continue to post, but with cool pool party stories, BBQ recipies and LOTS of pics of folks enjoying the pool! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.