Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloud when filter starts

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloud when filter starts

I have noticed recently that when I first turn my filter on, I get a yellowish brown cloud flowing out of the returns for about 5-10 seconds (dirty DE?). I have taken the filter apart and hosed the fingers down and inspected them, but I don't see any obvious holes or tears. They look, to my uneducated eyes, to be in pretty good condition. It's hard to give them each a thorough inspection with how many there are and how closely together they are bunched.

What could the problem be?
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloud when filter starts

While it's often the fingers, the tube sheets (the plastic disks that hold the fingers) could be cracked - especially if you didn't relieve the pressure in the tank before 'bumping' .
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

That could be it. My filter manual doesn't say anything about relieving the pressure before bumping, so I've never done that. I'm assuming you just do that with the air valve on the top of the filter?

How can I check the tube sheets?
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Algae and gunk can hide and flourish in the return lines/filter if FC is too low. Is yours Okay?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. I've kept my FC within range and my CC has been 0 all year.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry for the delay (my computer decided - once again - that I was getting too complacent and now has me jump through a new set of hoops to get where I'm used to getting in one click )

To check the tubesheets you've got to take it apart and inspect where the metal shaft comes through both the top and the bottom - that's where it will crack. Also look to be sure the washers and "E" clips are in place.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I experience a little of this in the morning after the pump has been off all night. The main reason is the green soup that has collected in the skimmer & filter baskets from leaves, pecans, etc.

My usual routine is to empty the baskets in the morning. The organic material collected over the last 24 hours sits in the still water of the skimmer and makes a lovely green soup or tea. Yes, it probably would be better to empty the baskets in the evening .

Does the yellowish brown cloud appear every time you turn on the pump, or only after it has been off for a while?
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jkalan
    Does the yellowish brown cloud appear every time you turn on the pump, or only after it has been off for a while?
    Every time, unfortunately.

I'm going to check the tubesheets like Ted recommended, I just have to find the time...

9. Back To Top    #9

No better time to make time to correct this than while cleaning up the filter for opening...

Once again, Ted's expertise shines through

It's amazing that little crack can cause that much trouble. No more bumping without relieving the pressure first for me!

This also made me curious:

Why do some of the tubes have the little X's in them (and at different depths)? Is this something to be concerned about?

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the glowing testimonial (your check's in the mail )

Go ahead and pull up one of the little x's - it fits down the tube and is supposed to keep the tube from collapsing or breaking (they weren't there in '95, but are now) - this also explains the "-" on the top sheet... you can't let them escape

Now that you've mastered your filter, I hope you'll continue to post, but with cool pool party stories, BBQ recipies and LOTS of pics of folks enjoying the pool!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted