Walmart bleach- careful 6% vs 8.25%

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Reads "concentrated" on the front display label but the ingredient box reads 6.0%.
Either they have the ingredient box wrong, or, the contents wrong.
Their "concentrated" has always been 8.25%, there "regular" has always been 6%.

Walmart needs to be contacted.

cfherrman, that's a stretch...if you ask me. Where would you garner such information? Nothing I have heard or read anywhere suggests a move like that for Walmart. I think it is as many people have been reporting...that Walmart has lowered their concentration to 6% (in place of the 8.25%) and kept the same price. A way to make more money.

I think it is simply a labeling issue. The bottles that don’t state "concentrated" (i.e. regular/non-concentrated) state 6%. The contrated bottles also state 6%.

- - - Updated - - -

I reported this information and it is indeed true. Both CLOROX name brand is now 6.0% SH and Great Value is also.
The only CLOROX blend that contains 8.25% SH is their branded GERMICIDAL.

OK, I thought it was simply a labeling issue. At Walmart, the GValue brand bottles that don’t state "concentrated" (i.e. regular/non-concentrated) state 6%. The concentrated bottles also state 6%. So one or both are wrong. That is why I think it is simply a labeling issue.

cfherrman, that's a stretch...if you ask me. Where would you garner such information? Nothing I have heard or read anywhere suggests a move like that for Walmart. I think it is as many people have been reporting...that Walmart has lowered their concentration to 6% (in place of the 8.25%) and kept the same price. A way to make more money.

Because of the two I have bought, they have been over 8.25% bleach, yes the "concentrated" 6%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there a simple way for me to test the contents of the jug?

I did this out of curiosity a long time ago. Not super exact but close enough.

I found a gallon jug and timed how long it took to fill. 8 seconds. At first I was going for 50 gallons but my tub wasn't big enough. So I halved everything to 25 gallons.

8 x 25 / 60 = 3.33 minutes or 3:20 to get 25 gallons in the tub.

Pool math said add 0.3 oz of 12.5 bleach for FC of 10, 11, 12, and 13 so I figured 12 was close enough to the middle to avoid rounding error. Using the TFT vials I eyeballed 8.8 ml (.3oz) of bleach, did the test and got 22 drops (11 FC)

Is there a simple way for me to test the contents of the jug?

Personally, I do not know how to do that easily. I think I read on this forum somewhere before people talking about how to do that for just this reason, though not Walmart specific (was more along the lines of how long a jug or bulk chlorine was sitting around and how much % you end up with by the time you add it to your pool - how to test, etc). I know Chemgeek would know but I would spend a little time doing a search before I asked him directly. If I get some time I may do that and post back here.

Trying to determine a percentage on a small scale is going to be somewhat difficult as you’re dealing with such small measurements and multiple variables. That said I’ll put strong money the bleach you’ve got is 6% and not a mislabel as we’ve seen multiple other users reporting the same change. Last year Chlorox lowered their percentage down to 6% and seeing how Kik manufacturing produces both Products it only is logical they make both products use the same formula rather than having two.

I was also betting it was not a mislabel. Maybe it was a marketing decision based on the fact that maybe they only sold a small percentage of the Concentrated 8.25% bleach compared to the regular 6% bleach and decided to drop both products in favor of producing only one. That would make financial sense from their standpoint. Not as beneficial for us though as the pricing wasn't far apart between the two products in the past. Now, if you want a higher concentration (i.e. 8.25%) you have to buy "special" bleach such as Walmart's pool shock bleach, etc. and that pricing difference is much greater.

Now, if you want a higher concentration (i.e. 8.25%) you have to buy "special" bleach such as Walmart's pool shock bleach, etc. and that pricing difference is much greater.

Use the Bleach Cost Calculator in the PoolMath App next time you go shopping. We’re finding that the higher percent chlorine is actually cheaper per oz of chlorine. The Pool Essentials Chlorine is priced around $7 for 2 gallons of 10% and works out to be less per oz than 1 gallon of 8% at $3.

I do not believe AT ALL this is a labeling issue. On the Clorox website it states they are using this new CloroMax technology so they were "able" to reduce the amount of SH to 6.0% from the standard normal 8.25%.
I think it's a dang shame.
I now buy the Pool Chlorinating liquid in the swimming pool section. You get a full 128oz and 10% SH for about $1.00 more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.