Allergic reactions to something in the bbb method?

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently switched over to the bbb method and I LOVE IT... My pool hasn't been this clear in years...

Last week my sister and her son (5 yrs old) came swimming and she calls the next morning saying he woke up during the night with a stuffy nose and sore throat and the next morning his lips were swollen. Could he be allergic to something in the water? We added borates about 3 weeks ago, but other than that we just add the bleach on a daily basis, keeping the FC level between 5-8.

He's been swimming in our pool for years and never had a problem, and my kids are swimming daily and they haven't had any problems...

Anyone else experience anything like this.

See this link for a table that distinguishes a sensitivity to chemicals vs. a bacterial infection though this applies more to rashes.

Given the normal incubation time for bacterial infections and viruses, it's most likely he caught a cold prior to using the pool and that this was a coincidence. It is possible that he got water in the ear to potentially exacerbate the problem if it's a bacterial infection. You can read more about Swimmer's Ear here, though what you described sounds more like a common cold.

I know for myself when I track when I could have possibly gotten a cold (mostly by being exposed to someone who has a cold) that it takes at least 12+ hours and usually a day before what I would consider exposure until feeling a very slight tingling in the throat. For me, taking a zinc capsule seems to often stop things at that point, though this does not work for everyone. If the cold progresses, it doesn't erupt into the classic more sore throat and stuffy or runny nose until 2-3 days after exposure.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.