DE not sticking

gwl

Aug 15, 2009
My inlaws pool needs dire help. I'm trying to help them out, I feel sorry for them because they are in their mid 80's and they cannot enjoy their pool. They have a hayward filter which for some reason the earth does not stick on the bottom 20% of the grids. It seems that there are some kind turbulence that is not allowing the earth to stick. When they first turn on the pump some earth is leak out to the pool and when they vacuum the you can see junk returning to the pool. I removed and inspected the grids/manifold/inlet oring around three times and I'm not making any progress. Thanks in advance! Glenn

Unless I'm mistaken DE should not be able to make it through the filter to the pool unless the fabric on the grids is damaged. What you suspect as DE not sticking might be the area where the DE is passing through freely. I would replace the grids or the filter entirely.

Thanks for the replies. The filter is only a year old and had the grids inspected twice by two other people. The only thing I did notice is that bottom intake tube inside the filter is loose. Last Friday, I tried to secure it by placing a plastic block under the pipe to keep it level and from rocking around. I also notice when they shut off the water pump, some of the water will drain back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.