Negative Effects of High Chlorine Levels?

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Due to my high levels of CYA, I need to maintain an FC level of 6-9 ppm (SWG pool). I have a 2-year old with somewhat sensitive skin. Will exposing her to the higher chlorine levels create any problems for her or others that use the pool? I know I have some challenges ahead based on my high levels of CYA and CH. I'm in the process of figuring out how to do a partial drain while complying with local waste water disposal regulations.

Here are my current test results:

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 750
CYA 120
Salt 4000
Borates 40

Water looks good. I'm up to about 77 degrees with the solar cover.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

My guess is no.

When I took over my pool, I had CYA in the 220-240 range; hard to be precise when it's diluted that much. I was maintaining FC up around 20 (Can't remember exactly anymore) and never had any skin or eye irritation, nor did my bathing suit bleach out. The CYA buffers the chlorine. But that's me and my wife; a baby's skin may be more sensitive.

Due to my high levels of CYA, I need to maintain an FC level of 6-9 ppm (SWG pool). I have a 2-year old with somewhat sensitive skin. Will exposing her to the higher chlorine levels create any problems for her or others that use the pool? I know I have some challenges ahead based on my high levels of CYA and CH. I'm in the process of figuring out how to do a partial drain while complying with local waste water disposal regulations.

Here are my current test results:

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 750
CYA 120
Salt 4000
Borates 40

Water looks good. I'm up to about 77 degrees with the solar cover.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Your pool with CYA of 120 and FC of 8 has less "active" chlorine in it than your public swimming pool with a CYA of 0ppm and FC of 1ppm. Or the potable water out of your faucet has 0ppm of CYA, but with chlorine. This will be more harsh than your pool water if kept within TFP guidelines. The CYA holds the chlorine hostage and makes it significantly less harsh. It is generally considered safe to swim with FC up to 40% of CYA. The pH of the water will have more to do with sensitive eyes and skin.

My kids all have sensitive skin. your tickle their neck or tummy and they are red after. My pool water causes zero issues.

Reference this chart for specific values

The pool water is very good on my daughter's skin and she has eczema.

Thank you. We had her in the pool at a few months old and hasn't had any issues. Looking back, the water was likely worse for her when I wasn't running enough chlorine.

You shouldn't have restrictions on replacing the pool water after this weekend. They are doing maintenance through Saturday and afterwards you shouldn't have any restrictions. I suggest replacing 80% of the water.

Thanks Ping. It's not the refilling, it's the disposal of waste water. I am on septic and the city website says, "[FONT=&quot]water from saltwater pools should only be drained to the sewer or hauled away[/FONT]." The municipal code is a bit ambiguous, so I just want to clarify before I move forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.