Pool rehab plumbing size

Hey guys. Glad I found this forum. First post here so here’s the deal. I bought my house last June. I’m in southeast pa. It came with an older Anthony pool. All seemed fine except some settling concrete about and inch below the coping. Original concrete but the coping, tile, plaster were redone at least once before. My original plan was just to replace the concrete which was only a 3’ band around the kidney shaped pool. Well as summer went on I noticed the coping was loose in many places and there were some pop offs. So I decided to do a whole rehab. Excavation was first and at this point the coping and tile are done. I figured it was a good time to replace the skimmer since the main drain and skimmer line both came from there in one 1.5” pipe. They stubbed a 2” line from the skimmer and a 1.5” from the main drain because I will be doing the plubing and electric to save some money. So this is where my question is. I will now have a 2” skimmer line and a 1.5” main drain line and currently my return line is one 1.25” that t’s off and necks down to two 1” lines that go through the wall. I dug it up and can replace it. What size return line should I use. No matter what it will be necked down to 1” at the pool wall. Also, should I just up the main drain line to 2” for the rest of the way to the pump?

Hello,
Another member may offer a different opinion but here is mine. As I have read, 1.5in plumbing used to be the standard years ago but with high efficiency and more powerful pumps of today the standard is now 2.0in. It just allows a greater flow rate.

Good luck,
Ralph

When ur choking the return to 1.25 the supply size being 2" won't matter much. If say make a manifold at pump and bring ur 2 lines into a single 2" line then pipe 2" out to returns and use it for as long as u can til u hit the 1" fittings this way u can use bigger eyeballs to make more flow or even pull the eyeballs run straight pipe

When ur choking the return to 1.25 the supply size being 2" won't matter much. If say make a manifold at pump and bring ur 2 lines into a single 2" line then pipe 2" out to returns and use it for as long as u can til u hit the 1" fittings this way u can use bigger eyeballs to make more flow or even pull the eyeballs run straight pipe

by manifold do you mean the 2” skimmer line and the 1.5” main drain line coming up at the pad and meeting at a 3 way valve before going into the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.