Very strange test results!

I'd like to aerate the water but he has no water features. Maybe I can put in my sump pump with the hose above water pointing back down at the pool? How much aeration is typically needed?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also - is it fine to add CYA now?

You can add the CYA now.

The pH should rise without aeration. I would leave it and let it rise on its own.

The CYA will lower the pH some. So, it might be worthwhile to raise the pH a little bit, but I don't think that it's necessary.

You can add the CYA now.

The pH should rise without aeration. I would leave it and let it rise on its own.

The CYA will lower the pH some. So, it might be worthwhile to raise the pH a little bit, but I don't think that it's necessary.

I'll leave it be for now and check again tomorrow when I do a full testing battery. I don't have any Borax anyway.

I just added 5 lbs of CYA into the skimmer in a sock. Chlorine that I added this morning was pretty much gone so I added another gallon. Problem is that we bought out 2 stores worth of bleach. I went this morning and neither had re-stocked. The one will have it tomorrow morning and put 2 cases with my name on it. Until then I have 2 gallons left and lots of the pucks. It'll have to do.

So I just set up my "poor man's" aerator!

iO6N4aiDThbqAxE2jxQFD2MmscZEvSBgeTwydxTxt8pgopo22nFe_pU3KUMVaVl5XVHKkDLgEahfDOb_z5Ybe5tJ1gFjsp3d6qNcRBVP5Is5p7R0C9cMvDNIhH9U2QkIc4PXGr5JQWEgeCJnMx6bFviv6iAWvqIsnODZMKgVFGa46k20UsA5WRFeBPYriv216W8iWxn7lOMSF3-6Nacsvdrn0MH1rw8u-HpdWJh8R0DLYTLQE5juov3jsjyjfJY-aqfkFfwetev6b2_nExIquMgL5p_2FWZtnqPK2blnwMhwsp8feR70pLzaVDQiLKkNkvup-AC6Ffx0WT8rISRs4QFk-ZOFzx0_N1hgTNGHNYA66S8iv9c-ix4nYP3YAs-y3mn8jSKkDFfxL9zC97tXLtQiWSJvJ-gSroxPhDzc3uBG9NVB0C4Ii8vu6XkYsMM-b4c2Rz4MEqmIWOSVlU2tZ3Ra0oFnRboXuLF6w_Cb2aifCGaeC1NhGoBxkebTm3dATGox-tT46h-NAYUspQQdHho_uUjTbkDQhIR4EdssEEgqRKest-OuUqSLr_y6ryc8IsPzXJ_o9rXWrKShYGzc4XwiiqBzzC-EvKZlJI-23JJ3mVT0-Lh7ie_dHVsqXlgrX58H0IoVWV4yRidGIvi5B954ACawX7IK=w1187-h959-no

bLweDcR6EhfZaoksUnDTedu03bSaPkuJP1OuqgvLQmLE5XR609xDvGqPu88ZygEN4XgudNsB3W0ucfxrp28NODpFHRE_0Bx99KjsvzGNsqA5YWpJs5Pfzv943QS4cqS3qsb0hfrVxG7dxhXo1uXCCDEZyAl_vkzhCwjId4k7qr5lbIQ7iZ9OVHPA1oOampGlr7zKvnp2bfDzTU_WIhajGcRVTCvmR8pz3OMeZGQOpyHIHr_c3FHJx-28r9fSDlzpAz6r7eipT5mLHe8BMqPYEMvQx358q2xXKBIpw_i4ZglKOFfTzPH34VC-2eJPn8tRUEX8nVTO33oNl1xmgVpWU7A7FRmsoLhTHpt8AltVPFv4SohNGnsYjtSJR3i3jG3cbxBcx0-aoXbv39JphIfr-V6zUuPepEtDXSJ3yiy734Vvc77UNLQWHB6FObykj16IQdgexXAX7pq2AVjdGMmsZfMFNH0duDuMZUH5UbTAPrr9PB50C_EinGGXVILDpfdlEwPv9GVlJZfrvkgOy0mMMbUhN-pwAYkmkG65vqrNgdKR7mW_Wv3Ro9zuHF4hmB5sDr3yMm7IXS64XpyvsYRdc1PWcRJX4BppEUZLFC0c2VZn47rG7KLIh6ieZKliJtSmHtinngx5513L0NXQK14vO2k_oCqdiuKC=w540-h959-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning's test results are good for chlorine. Holding very well. Next thing I am chasing is the pH. It is really WAY too low. I don't think I can wait for it to drift up on its own. It doesn't seem to have budged it is still off the charts low this morning. Almost totally yellow. I have some sodium carbonate or I can add borax. Which is better? TA is 100.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh water is CRYSTAL clear!

Either sodium carbonate or borax work great, so toss a coin!

- - - Updated - - -

Just go easy with it and add a little at a time until you get to 7.2, the TA is now in the ballpark so you don't want to over it. Once you get to 7.2, switch back to just using aeration to raise pH

You should use borax. It will raise pH and only slightly affect the TA. Sodium carbonate raises pH and TA strongly.

Predilute is fine. Pour it in front of the deep end return.

You should use borax. It will raise pH and only slightly affect the TA. Sodium carbonate raises pH and TA strongly.

Predilute is fine. Pour it in front of the deep end return.

I'll see what it registers after this 5lbs of sodium carbonate and then switch to Borax. He was already on the high end of TA.

How long does it take to mix with the pool so I get an accurate reading? I poured it in the skimmer so right before his pump/DE filter. His skimmer get a lot of flow. I put 1/2 what I expect to actually need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.