Beachcomber Hot Tubs Care-Free Test Kit - Taylor K-1001 copy

mrplow

Jul 27, 2009
I bought a "Beachcomber Hot Tubs Care-Free Test Kit" (only link I could find) locally, the only other DPD test kit I could find tested FC levels under 3.0. Since I'm in Canada and my pool is rather small, getting a FAS-DPD kit would be much too expensive.

My question is this, the directions on the instructions that come with it are the same as the Taylor K-1001 except is have a "Care-Free Test" which is adding 5 drops R-001 and 5 drops R-002, same as the FC test. Except your suppose to "Wait 7 minutes. Match color in cell with pink Cl standard." What is this testing for?

So with the normal FC test your suppose to match the colour immediately and this test your suppose to wait 7 minutes as far as I can tell. When I wait for 7 minutes the meter changes from FC 4.0 to ?? <0.5. This isn't testing for CC is it? I though you had to add R-003 to get the TC then subtract the FC to get the CC right?

This kit looks like its exactly the same as the K-1001 except they reprinted a sticker and instructions. oh ya first post

Welcome to TFP!

If you wait long enough after doing the FC portion of a DPD chlorine test, all of the CC will eventually react, even if your don't add the R-0003. So I assume they are trying to save money by leaving out the R-0003 and having you wait to get the same TC reading that you would get by adding R-0003. But the result isn't as precise, since other aspects of the test can drift a little bit in 7 minutes.

The DPD test will beach out if the chlorine level is too high. So the most likely interpretation of your results is that the CC level is high enough that the TC level is bleaching out the test.

thanks!
So thats interesting that that the CC eventually reacts. So DPD tests bleach out if the chlorine is too high, how high does the chlorine level have to be to bleach out the result, or does the test always eventually bleach out if you wait long enough?

I thought that my FC level was initially 4.0 because I waited a minute, it was initially higher probably over 5 then it drifted down near zero after about 5-8 minutes. So its possible my CC is still 0 if my FC level is just though the roof?

Just did another test, this time I diluted it with distilled water 1:1 ratio and the test initially read in at 2 so about the level should be around 4 then, I know its not accurate but I think I know the FC level isn't through the roof. One minute later the test is looking like its reading 1. Four minutes in its looking like 0.5. Ten minutes in below 0.5 but not completely clear.
If the CC is slowly reacting why is the color fading?

FC 4
CC ??
pH 7.5
TA 120 <- test strips
CYA 25 <- pool store (pool calculator told me how much to add to reach 25 so the store just confirmed it)

I'm hoping to get some R-003 soon. I don't want to have to shock unless I need to. The water looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.