Tips for Pulling Back Vinyl Liner?

Aug 11, 2017
Chelmsford MA
I need to pull back part of my liner to get to the wall underneath. The liner is in good shape and only a few years old, so I don't have any spots that are already out where I can start. It is near a corner though. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to pull it out of the track? I've never taken one out before so I'm a complete newbie. Any things to watch out for?

If you pop out a section, there's a chance that you won't be able to get it back in.

Lowering the water helps give you some slack.

Warming the liner with a heat gun or hair dryer helps make the liner more pliable.

When the water is lowered and the vinyl is warm, you should be able to pull up and disengage the bead from the track.

Be careful heating the liner because you can seriously damage the vinyl if you overheat it. Keep the heat source moving and not too close to the vinyl.

Note that there is significant risk to doing this. You might end up seriously damaging the liner.

Yeah I've been discussing with another forum member in a separate thread and I've started to come to the conclusion that its not worth the risk. I do have the water drained down to about an inch below the return, but that's only 1' or so below the top water level. Apparently with it being near a corner, it actually makes it more difficult, and the corner is already stretched pretty tight. Definitely don't want to end up tearing the liner or not being able to get it back in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.